Neglected

"Idiot!"

"Stupid!"

"Useless!"

"Ignorant!"

Those were just some of the names they called me, especially my own father. I grew up in a wealthy family, and others might think I'm lucky to come from such privilege, but they're mistaken. Happiness feels so far away. Sure, I can have everything I want, but that's not what I need. What I crave is understanding and acceptance.

"Oh my! My child is so brilliant!" I heard my mom say as she looked at my brother's report card. It's no secret that they favor my older brother, Kuya Anton, over me. He hasn't just brought pride to our parents but also to our extended family. He's a top student in his batch, excelling in sports, especially football. He's even part of a prestigious team here in the Philippines, while I am the complete opposite. I'm not smart like him, but I do top our class. Yes, I'm a top student, but always in the last position. Clumsy and inept in sports, but I'm proud that I excel in music.

"Of course, Mama, it's me," Kuya said, glancing my way with a smirk.

"Oh! Did you hear that, Zac? You should also focus on your studies, my child," Mama said to me with a forced smile.

"Yes, Mama," I replied, trying to smile back.

They continued chatting, seemingly forgetting I was there. Kuya was the center of attention in their conversation. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I envy him, but, fine, I admit, I'm jealous.

 However, I'm not angry at him. I just wish I could be more like him. I wish I could trade everything I have just to be as capable as he is.

            "Zac! Zac! Wait, please," I turned around when I heard someone calling my name. It was Lindsay, my brother's girlfriend.

"What's wrong, ate?" I asked, noticing that she seemed troubled. She couldn't meet my eyes, and I knew they've been together for six months now. Lindsay transferred from another school, and they're both in their fourth year of high school, while I'm just starting my first year.

"D-did you see your b-brother?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"Huh? He went to school, didn't he?" I replied, confused by her question.

"N-no, he didn't," she said, biting her lower lip. I grew even more puzzled by her words. Kuya couldn't have skipped school. We even went to school together this morning, so it's impossible for him to be absent.

"Uhm, maybe he just took some time off," I suggested when I noticed tears forming in her eyes."P-please, don't tell your parents that he cut class," she pleaded with me. My eyes widened upon hearing her words. Kuya wouldn't do that, he wouldn't cut class.

She pulled me aside to a secluded corner before speaking again, her voice barely audible.

"I-I don't want to say this to anyone, but your brother, Zac!" Lindsay said, breaking into sobs. "He's always cutting class. Don't you know he failed this grading period and-"

"A-and what, ate?"

"I-I'm pregnant, Zac! I'm pregnant!" she cried. I was at a loss for words, feeling like I was the one who committed a mistake with what Lindsay revealed. I felt cold. Yes, I'm just in my first year of high school, but I understand what this means, and I don't want my parents to be disappointed in Kuya. It's okay if they're disappointed in me, but not him.

She wept in front of me, and I didn't know how to console her. Especially now that I realized the gravity of their problem.

"Z-Zac, can you come with me?" she hesitantly asked, and despite my reservations, I agreed. I didn't want Lindsay to get in trouble, nor did I want my future niece or nephew to be in harm's way.