7

Click.

The strange noise roused Kylo from his sleep. His arm was draped protectively around Rey, who was still asleep. The first light of dawn was peering through the window, and he blinked to get his eyes accustomed to the small bit of light as he strained to see what was going on around him. Standing at the foot of his bed was a tall figure holding a camera phone.

Click, went the phone.

Kylo sat straight up. "Dad, what the hell?!" he asked peevishly. "Why the hell are you taking our picture?"

At his angry words, Rey, too, began to stir. When she figured out what was going on, she too sat up. "What are you doing, Han?"

Kylo's father grinned. "I'm taking selfies with my sleeping son and the girl he was cuddling with. Do either of you want to tell me what exactly went on in here last night?"

"Ew, dad," Kylo groaned, running a hand through his hair. "Nothing. We fell asleep watching TV."

There was a twinkle in Han's eye. "Uh huh. Well, in any case, your absence excuse is on the counter, Ben. You don't have to go to school today if you don't want to. Doctor's orders."

Kylo groaned again. "Okay, dad. Geez. Can you just go to work already?"

Han grinned. "Yup. But you have to tell me goodbye if you don't want these pictures to end up on Facebook." He turned to Rey. "Thanks for teaching me about Facebook, kiddo. It's lot of fun."

"Sorry," Rey whispered to Kylo, who was currently mouthing the word "traitor" at her.

"Bye, dad," Kylo groaned laboriously, falling back down onto his pillow with his eyes in the bend of his elbow.

"Bye, Ben. Lovely to see you this morning, Miss Kenobi."

Rey's face was red with embarrassment. "Bye, Han."

At last, Kylo's father left the room and Kylo pulled his arm off his face. "Sorry about that." He grabbed Rey by the shoulder and kissed her gently. "You know, we're going to have to tell him at some point."

Rey laughed and snuggled into his arms. "He'll be thrilled. I don't understand why telling him about us frightens you." She rested her arm on his chest and he snaked his arm around her shoulders.

"If you hadn't noticed, my dad and I don't exactly have the best relationship. We're kind of dysfunctional."

"He loves you, though," Rey reminded him. "Love will help you work out the kinks. You're not so bad that he hates you. One thing I've learned about fathers, even though I don't remember mine, is that no matter what you do, no matter how far down the path to the dark side one may travel, they still love you unconditionally. Han loves you enough to die for you. Nothing you could ever do will change that. Not even becoming the most evil, despicable person known to man. So yes, I believe you'll iron out the kinks with time. Love turns even the most evil of men good again. Darkness can never be more powerful than light."

"Great, because I'm freaking wallowing in darkness," Kylo replied sarcastically. "Good thing you're here. You're like a candle, Rey. You keep the darkness away from me. I'm the best person I could ever be with you around. Hell, I even quit smoking for you."

She laughed. "For me? I was under the impression that cigarettes are difficult to come by in jail. You basically quit cold turkey, which sucks, but it works."

"How would you know?"

She grinned mysteriously. "I know things."

"You're killing me, woman," Kylo joked. "Want some breakfast?"