questions. [farklesriley]

a/n: hey, everybody! so, this is jeanne (friarsklutz) and i figured i would write the first addition of this series! also, credit for the flawless cover goes to meg (girlmeetssrucas). thanks again for making it, love!

not an au. just a simple little riley/lucas one shot. not my best, but aye.

. . .

r i l e y 

"Why would you not tell me?"

It had to be the twentieth time Lucas had asked me this question in the past couple days, not exaggeration required. Ever since Farkle had decided to blurt out my feelings in front of everybody once the clock struck midnight. Typically he resisted the urge to ask the question whenever Maya was around, too caught up in his confusion over her feelings and his own to bring up anything like this whenever she was nearby. She probably appreciated it, considering the fact that she was barely spending time with any of us anymore. It was just another consequence that came along with the bundle of lies I had told her back in Texas, and even once we arrived home. 

You're right, I love him like a brother. You need to feel whatever you feel. Lucas is like my brother. I know a lot of things are going to happen

Needless to say, I had obviously brought her apparent sadness on myself. I should have known better than to lie to my best friend, the girl who might as well be a sister of mine. Farkle had been correct about one part of this mess, at least -- we don't lie to each other. Lying to her had been a horrible idea, that much was painfully obvious, but it had been the only way to make sure she got her chance with Lucas. She stepped back for me. It was only fair that I did the same for her. Isn't that what you did for people you deeply cared about? Make sacrifices for them, for their happiness? 

Friends come first. Maya came first above my own feelings. That was the only fact that made any semblance of sense nowadays.

"Riley," Lucas eventually grabbed my arm, spinning me around so we were facing each other again. Making sure a good majority of my expression remained impassive and hopefully stoic, I raised a single eyebrow at him. He didn't say anything, his eyes fixated on mine before he finally released my arm. The rush of warmth I had felt from his simple touch faded away immediately, instead quickly replaced with an unexpected coldness. My eyes fleetingly darted around the nearly vacant hallways before reluctantly locking on him again. Anything to keep from thinking too hard on the way it felt when he had been that close to me.

Anything to keep from fixating too much of my attention on my best friend's boyfriend. But some things never changed -- I still thought a lot of him. Far too much for my own good, for his own good, for Maya's own good. These feelings needed to fade away already, because the longer they lingered, the more it hurt everyone. Including my best friend.

Lucas briefly pressed his lips together firmly, something that I hated that I caught. Noticing your best friend's boyfriend's absentminded habits was never an amazing habit to have, especially when you came to the realization that aforementioned best friend really did have a terrible life. Just like you said all those weeks ago in art class when your teacher had complimented her, something no one ever really did to you.

That wasn't worth thinking about, either. Maya deserved to be swept off her feet, and we already knew that Lucas Friar was considerably talented when it came to sweeping a girl off her feet. White horse, basically riding off into the sunset ... ringing any bells?

Lucas's piercing green eyes hesitated on mine for a moment longer before the final warning bell of the day rang shrilly, cutting into our previously deafening silence. Neither of us bothered to say anything while we parted, going our separate ways, presumably thinking too hard on things we shouldn't be concerned about. Because that is what teenagers did in this generation. They consistently thought too hard on topics that shouldn't be their problem, like whether or not their best friend was going to get the happily ever after that she truly deserved.