Chapter 2:Boarding

Several weeks later, James, Darkelm, Arkairial, and Isaac, an earth half dragon whose dragon name was Gigous, had met in the northernmost port and had explained the situation to each other. The inn they had gathered inside was sparsely inhabited, mostly due to Isaac's size, which was well over a normal man, and his muscular build made him capable of wielding a battleaxe one handed.

"It seems the council wants us to cooperate, at least temporarily, but as we were all given the same orders, it's more likely that this 'alliance' will be long term." Darkelm said gruffly as he found that only he was given a map that outlined the route over the sea.

"It certainly seems so Darkelm." Came Arkairial's wistful reply, the wind spirits had gone quiet long before they had arrived in this country, and their silence was making him nervous.

"Now Arkairial, you know very well that it is polite and respectful if you call those present by their Dragon names." James said, Isaac's fist striking the table so hard that the candle and several table decorations lept into the air to punctuate the point.

"My apologies, and now that you mention it, I am curious if the others be joining us, I heard that Lady Vectra is matches the beauty of the stars." Arkairial said, an arrogant smirk pulling at his lips. The innkeeper, who was examining the map the Darkelm had laid on the table, looked up. His face was still pleasant, but James could make out a deep pain behind his eyes, as if they had said the name of a lost loved one.

"I was told only to expect four." He said, giving the map back to the elven ranger.

"So the champions of water, fire, plants and lightning will not be joining us. Such a shame, I'm sure they would enjoy the exercise." Arkairial said, his smirk fading to a serious glare. The innkeeper stood up, wiped his hands on his apron, and cast his gaze around the now refilling tables.

"I don't know what business you have in that place, but I'll see if I can't find someone to take you." he said, leaving our heroes to themselves.

"Just our luck, Gigous' initial scare has worn off. Just when I was getting comfortable." Darkelm said, his frown visible from under his hood, which covered the top half of his face in shadows, leaving his mouth the only thing to show his annoyance. Moments later, a tall rugged looking man with a black beard, which was little more than stubble arrived at the table the half dragons were sitting at.

"I hear ye be lookin' fer a ship." He scowled, his man's teeth alone would have turned most men to ignore him, but Darkelm and the others knew not to judge by appearances, for they had to hide their dragon wings and tails whenever they went into a town or city, which made Arkairial and Darkelm grumble in annoyance, mostly because James only had his wings, and Issac only had a tail that had a bony club at the end and the former pair had both tails and wings, though their tails did not have such a decoration as Isaac's.

"That we are." James said, motioning the captain to sit down. "How fast can your ship make the trip captain?"

"In storm or calm, The Revenant be the fastest ship in the north." Came the sailor's reply. "I'd reckon 'bout a day and a night of hard sailing."

"Good, consider yourself hired, but when can we leave, I know that this port is currently under siege from pirates, and I'd hate to find myself on a slaver's ship." Darkelm added, placing his left elbow on the table.

"As soon as tomorrow, may I ask who and what I be carrying? Nothing personal, just precautions." The captain said, nodding.

"I am Sir James Drakir, knight of the round table, and your cargo will simply be my comrades and I with our supplies and weapons." James replied, placing a small handful of coins in the man's hand. "You will receive the rest of your pay once we reach our destination.