38 - Unknown

i literally got death threats after the last chapter like wow okay it's nice to know that you guys love me so much =.=

anyway....enjoy this. lol.

----------------------------------------------------

38 - Unknown

Luke Waters

I’d never had an MRI before.

 That night was my first – I spent two hours or so getting poked and prodded and scanned, watching lights twinkle around me and listening to the machine whirr. Nurses smiled at me kindly in the hall as I was wheeled around with an IV attached to my wheelchair – I couldn’t walk because my left leg was broken.

 I caught glimpses of the New Jersey skyline outside the hospital windows. Dusk had fallen, buildings rose above the horizon – I felt oddly separate from all of it though, in the white sterility of the hospital where time seemed to have no meaning. I asked the intern who was taking me around what time it was, she told me it was seven at night. She took me back to my room, where Mom and Cas were still waiting, but when we entered someone else was also sitting in one of the chairs.

 “Dad,” I realized.

 My father stood up, jerking his coat over his chest – he had apparently flown down from some business shindig.

 “How are you feeling, Luke?”

 Two nurses lifted me out of the wheelchair and deposited me on the bed – a third slid the IV back into my wrist.

 “I don’t think it makes a difference to you if I say I’m feeling terrific or if I say I feel like I’m dying slowly, Dad, so spare me.”

 Dad’s jaw clenched but he didn’t say anything. The door opened and closed and Dr. Forsyth entered the room.

 “Mr. Waters,” he said politely, striding across the room and holding out his hand. “I’m Dr. Forsyth.”

 Dad shook his hand firmly.

 “Nice to meet you, doctor.”

 I saw Cas roll her eyes the same time I wanted to roll mine. She caught my eye and grinned.

 “Mr. Waters, your son’s condition is a little precarious at the moment.”

 Dad glanced at me. I could see that he didn’t give a fuck.

 “How so?”

 Dr. Forsyth consulted his clipboard.

 “Well – physically, he has sustained multiple fractures – left leg, right arm and a few cracked ribs, as well as severe concussion on his skull caused by the impact of the metal debris on his head. We think that this is the cause for what seems to be a retrograde amnesia, caused by temporary shock trauma. Hopefully the amnesia is also temporary – we had to probe deeper to check the extent of damage, which is what the MRI was for.”

 Out of all that, Dad seemed to pick up on only one thing.

 “Amnesia?”

 “Yes. He...uh, the past couple of months are a little hazy at the moment –”

 “There’s no need to sugarcoat it, doctor,” I said, rolling my eyes. “I can’t remember shit and that’s a fact.”

 Dad’s eyes were a little wide, but not in the way I would have liked. Dr. Forsyth shrugged.