Chapter Eight

Ethan:

“Attention, students,” Adrienne called. “There’s one last thing I need to tell you.”

They still had five minutes of class left, but nobody seemed to care. Everyone already started to shove their books and papers into their backpacks in anticipation of their freedom.

“As you know, the school will be chartering busses to take students to the town’s Harvest Festival tonight,” Adrienne continued when the noise died down a bit. “For those of you who haven’t been, the festival is an all ages fun fest.”

Several of the students in the class snickered.

“In addition to the many arts and crafts and food booths, there are games and rides,” Adrienne went on. “And most exciting of all and what you should be most interested in is a play put on by the local theater group.”

A bunch of kids groaned, but Adrienne kept on smiling.

“I’d hope that you’d want to see the play,” Adrienne said. “But for those of you who need a little more convincing, I’ll be offering twenty extra credit points if you bring me a play bill and fifty points if you bring me a play bill and a review of the play.”

The room started to buzz. Fifty points could mean the difference between getting a C or a B. For that, some people were willing to suffer through the play and even write about it. Ethan didn’t care as much about going to the play as he did about going with Kara.

“Have a wonderful time tonight,” Adrienne sang when the bell rang.

Ethan trailed behind Kara and Shirelle as they exited the class. “So, you think you guys will go to that thing tonight?”

“The festival or the play?” Kara asked.

“Both,” he said.

“Of course we’re going,” Shirelle spoke up. “I don’t know about you two, but fifty extra credit points might come in handy.”

Kara frowned at her. “You don’t need any extra credit. You’re doing great in that class.”

“I know, and if I want to blow off an assignment, fifty points will make that possible,” Shirelle explained, flashing them a smile.

Ethan spotted Roman and Braden waiting for him. So far, he’d managed to keep their constant presence in his life hidden from Kara. “Maybe I’ll, uh, see you there tonight, Kara.”

Kara and Shirelle traded glances.

“Yeah, sure,” Kara said.

Maybe I’ll uh see you! Ethan screamed at himself as he watched them walk away.

Man, he was such a loser. How could he be so confident when it came to everything else but act like such a dumb ass around her? At this rate, she’d never fall in love with him.

Kara:

“I still don’t see why you won’t come.”

            Shirelle was trying to convince Irina to come with her and Kara to see The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Halloween was only a week away, and Kara was sure that was what made the Mountain Community Theater Group choose The Legend of Sleepy Hollow as their production. The play was being shown in the park. Afterward students would be allowed to spend time at the carnival where there was supposed to be a hay ride and a bobbing for apples contest and even a haunted house. It all sounded kind of silly but still a little fun.

Kara couldn’t wait to go, and it wasn’t because Adrienne Ambrose was offering her students extra credit for attending. The only reason she was looking forward to going was so she’d have the chance to feel like she was on a real date with Ethan. It had been weeks since Ethan claimed he liked her as more than a friend, and so far he hadn’t really done much to convince her of it. They didn’t eat lunch together or study together or talk on the telephone or walk around school holding hands and kissing in between classes. If it hadn’t been for vocal enrichment class, Kara never would’ve gotten to see him. Part of her wondered if he was ashamed of liking someone as plain as her, and this was her chance to find out.