PROLOGUE

Four small kits suckled from their mother, Dawn, on a dark, cold, night. All was still, though Dawn sensed danger lurking in the shadows. Suddenly, a huge, dark, shape hurled itself at Dawn.

     "Dog!" she meowed, but it was too late. The dog was upon her, scratching and slashing at her until she went limp.

     "We must get rid of this dog that hurt mama!" yelled Bear.

     "Yes," agreed Fox "we should!"

      Desperately, Bear gave instructions.

     "Ready? Attack!" he yelled.

      "Na, na, na, na, na, you can't get me!"

       Furiously, the dog raced in pursuit of Fox. Just then, two others repeated the call.

      "Na, na, na, na, na, you can't get me!"

     The dog, confused, did not know who to chase. The second he hesitated, Bear leaped upon him, clawing and slashing all the anger within him for hurting his mother.

     The dog howled in pain, but was unable to shake himself free of the tiny claws. Then, Moon, Lily, and Fox jumped on him too.

     And the dog, howling, ran off like a bullet.

     "I am so proud of you, my kits," Dawn rasped hoarsely as they approached. "But I'm afraid I shall live no more. To survive, you must travel to the clans, WindClan, ThunderClan, ShadowClan, and RiverClan. They live in the great forest. Travel safely, my kits. And choose the Clan that is right for you."

     Dawn went limp.

     "Mama!" screamed Lily and Moon at the same time. "Don't leave us!"

     "Travel to the clans," repeated a star-covered form of Dawn that came down from the sky. "and remember, I am always with you, my kits, and I always shall be."