◇Chapter One◆

"Feel my wrath!" A young falcon dashed around the living room, messing up the careful placing of the furniture and knocking over several vases.

"You can't catch me," Nyx jumped up onto a newly-purchased stool and almost tumbled over.

Nyx had to babysit Russell for a short while. The young lady owning the house hadn't told him to keep it tidy, however.

Shortly after the teenage lynx stopped running around, an alert-looking fox entered the living room, and widened her eyes at the sight. She glanced around with an open mouth, then her gaze rested on the two looking at her with wide and innocent eyes.

"What?" Russell pouted, furiously wiping his amber eyes to try and make him appear to be crying. "We just had a bit of fun..."

"I told you to take him straight to bed!" The female-kitsume yelled at Nyx, causing him to flinch slightly. "Not to mess around with him and my stuff!"

"Well... He asked me to imitate Sonic and I couldn't just pass up on that so-"

"Stop. Look at you. You're what, 16 now?"

"17, actually."

"Exactly," she huffed, crossing her creamy arms. "You need to stop idolizing that blue hedgehog and actually get on with your life."

And at this moment, Russell began crying wildly. Actually, it closely resembled shrieking and it forced the lynx and the fox to cover their ears.

Nyx simply smiled sheepishly at the young girl and then quickly scooped up the child. He dashed up the stairs and placed the youth down onto his bed in a rush.

"How did that feel?" Nyx asked, his white teeth glinting mischievously.

"Fast," Russell replied, feeling his eyelids droop slightly. "Hey... When are you going to ask Sonic to talk to me?"

Nyx pretended not to hear his question and sighed, making his way to the door. His hand hovered above the light switch.

"Nyk! Nyk!" Russell seemed to completely forget about his earlier question. Not only that, but Nyx noticed Russell still couldn't pronounce his name. "Why won't you read me a book?"

"I'll read you one tomorrow," He replied and switched off the light. As soon as he stepped into the living room, the owner of the house turned around and stared at him. "What?"

"You smashed it..."

"Uh..." Nyx scratched the back of his head as he averted his gaze from the shadowed female. She was grasping a piece of an intricately-decorated vase. "I'm sorry. I didn't realise..."

She abruptly turned around to face him, a dark look in her eyes. "How could you?" She began raising her voice. "I even told you you weren't allowed in the kitchen!"

"Kitchen?" Nyx raised his hands in defense. "We didn't go to the kitchen at all!"

"I..." She took large breaths, attempting to calm herself down but to no avail. "Okay. Fine. But I want you out of my sight."

"What? But you haven't even paid me yet, Miss..." Nyx stared at her.

"Onyx," She growled. "I'll email you the money tomorrow. Hey! Wait!" She stopped him from exiting. "Are you sure you didn't go to the kitchen?"

"Positive," Nyx nodded, his instincts urging him to get out of the area as soon as possible. "Sorry about the mess... If there's any way I can repay you-"

"No, it's fine," Onyx waved him away. "If you know what's best for you, don't come back."

Nyx gave her a forced and nervous smile and then put the front door in between them. He strolled aimlessly near the park, whistling to himself to distract himself from the recent events. The chilly air had a distinct smell of bonfire smoke, but he could only see the silvery illumination provided by the twinkling stars above and the moon. He hadn't made it too far when flashes of bright lights brightened the night.