Awkward Situations

“So..” I start, not really sure what to say. “Um, you're new here.” Wow Spencer, real smooth. I mentally slap myself, this is so unlike me.

Ashley giggles before answering. “Yeah. We just moved here last week.” Aw. She has the cutest laugh I ever heard. I did not just think that. Moving on.

“Make a right up here.” I say pointing to the street she needed to turn on. “How are you liking LA so far?” I ask, trying to make conversation. Why does this feel so freaking awkward? I'm usually so much better at this.

“It's so different then San Diego, a lot livelier. And the people are definitely hotter.” She looks over at me and smiles. My cheeks burned.

I swallowed the lump in my throat before saying. “Yeah, the guys are pretty hot here. It's the house up here on the left.” She pulls into my driveway and puts her car in park.

“So Spencer.” She says looking at me. “Can I call you sometime? You know, to talk...” She trails off, letting her question linger in the air.

I don't know why the look she's giving me right now caused my cheeks to turn a bright shade of red. I looked away, not wanting her to see.

“Um, sure.” I say, taking the phone out of her hand and storing my number in it. Why did that just feel so wrong?

“Okay. I'll talk to you later then Spencer.” She said my name some type of way and it made my heart flutter. I quickly get out of her car and practically run into the house. I shut the door behind me and lean against it for support, I felt like my legs couldn't hold me up.

“What are you doing?” I open my eyes and see my brother standing in front of me.

“Nothing whore bag. What are you doing here?” I ask, finally regaining confidence that my legs could support me. I walk into the kitchen to make a snack.

“Dad and I are going to the baseball game today.” He said following me into the kitchen. “Who was that, that dropped you off. His wheels are sick. Did Aiden get a new car?”

“No slut. That was Ashley.” I said like he'd know who I was talking about. Glen was 3 years older than me. A junior in college with average grades and a genitalia that didn't like to stay in his pants. Hence the nicknames. He lives on campus, thank God, so I barely see him, again I'm mentally thanking God.

“Oh, Oooookay.” He said sitting down a bar stool while I help myself to the leftover Chinese take-out from last night. Wait for it... waiiit for it... “Is she hot?” There it is.

“She's a Junior, man whore. Which means she's underage, which translates to off limits. Got it?” I say a little more abrasive than intended.

“Geez, yeah.” He throws his hands up in defense. “Just asking was she hot.” He shakes his head at me then makes his way into the living room.

That night as I'm doing homework... (Yes, we have homework on the second day. I know right! Who gives homework on the second day of school?) Ashley calls me. I was hesitant to answer at first but I pick it up.

“Hello.” I answer.

“Hey. It's me Ashley.” She says and I can hear the smile in her voice.

“I know.” I giggle.

“Oh.” She giggles too. “So what you doing?”

“Homework.” I say closing my Math book. I was over it at the moment.

“Oh fun.” She says sarcastically making me laugh.

“Oh shut it.” I joke. “Don't you have any?” I ask getting up from my computer desk and laying down on the bed.