15 ⦿ in which i become enchanted

December 23, 2010 7:00 a.m.

The next morning, I wake up with Wolf's words still echoing in my mind. For a moment, I forget where I am and instinctively stiffen. The sheets are warm and the comforter is plushy against me. I snuggle my chin into it, opening my eyes to the soft, buttery light of the sun.

Dinner last night had been relaxed, all of us loose with red wine and rich, garlic-butter scallops. Wolf's smiles had been more frequent and even Graeme had released her chokehold on Xander long enough to talk to me without rolling her eyes even once.

The unbidden memory brings a smile to my face and I roll over, burying my face in the pillow. I see Wolf's eyes, dancing with merriment. Graeme's light, infectious laugh. Levi's good-natured ribbing. Xander's quiet enjoyment. The tingling in my toes goes all the way up my calves to my thighs and tickles my ribcage. I sit upright, feeling wide awake and ready to start the day.

I breeze through the next hour, showering and dressing quickly. We're going to Efteling today, despite Graeme's moans of "tourist trap!"

I gently pat on a tinted lipgloss and stare at myself in the mirror. I look flushed and happy; my eyes are bright with rest and golden, shimmery eyeshadow; my cheeks are dewy with moisturizer.

"Char!" Xander knocks on my door, his voice impatient. "Breakfast!"

I fling my bedroom door open. "How do I look?" I pirouette, waiting for the verdict.

He scrutinizes me. "Good," he says. "Now let's go eat before everyone wakes up!"

Good? Just "good"? I spent an hour dolling myself up just for "good"? I don't have time to be annoyed, however. He practically drags me down the hall; I barely have enough time to grab my jacket and purse before he swings the door shut.

Now that I know the way to the dining room, getting there is a piece of cake. Humphries aims an enormous smile my way as he sees us approach. "Miss, sir," he murmurs, bowing to each of us in turn.

"Good morning, Humphries," I say with a smile as he opens the double doors for us.

Unlike yesterday morning, there's only a handful of people here. Rhona and her two children, Levi, and now us. If I thought that the other day's icy chill was palpable, it's no contest that their beaming faces are even scarier.

"Are they...actually smiling at me?" I mumble from behind Xander's shoulder.

We traipse into the room. This time, there are plenty of chairs to choose from. Rhona sits at the foot of the table, her children on either side of her. Levi is next to Wolf and Xander nimbly nabs the seat next to Graeme before I can put a proprietary hand on the back of it.

I sit next to Levi.

"Slept well, I trust?" Wolf asks, face innocent. His eyes are twinkling at me disarmingly. "You didn't keep up at night?"

How did he know that I fell asleep to the memory of our impromptu coffee date? My face gives me away as I blush.

Levi gives me a curious look, then turns to his brother with a question in his eyes.

"From the coffee," Wolf elaborates.

Ha, bloody ha. I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant at all. Wolf is a man who knows perfectly well the effect he has on the female populace.

"Good morning," Rhona greets us, warmth in her eyes. "I hope you're all well rested. Since you're off to an early start, we won't have a full repast for you, so I've just asked the kitchen to make you simple plates." She folds her hands together on the table and calls out, "Enter!"