Accident

We walked to the road where everyone had gathered, talking amongst themselves. Upon noticing us, they cheered once again. The smooth concrete steps were becoming littered with small golden slips of confetti as our friends and family threw handfuls over us. The air was full of light-hearted laughs and cheers while we walked between the walls of people towards a white land rover that had "Just Married!" sprayed in white paint on the back windows. Adam stopped and released my hand, opening the door for me to climb in. He shut the door and rounded to the other side, waving towards the crowd before sitting beside me.

"That was fun!" He said, chuckling. Starting the ignition, the car began to move away from the large park.

"We're married! We're really married!" I said excitedly. "It was exactly like my dreams and it was so amazing!"

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. Now we get to party as husband and wife" he replied.

I leant over and opened the glove compartment, searching for a familiar CD. Upon laying my hands on it, I grinned. I lifted it into this eye line and wiggled my hand.

I smirked as the disk slid into the tray. We both sang along as the first few musical notes began to sound . I smoothed my long white dress then looked up at the road. It was lined with lusciously green grass and masses of white flowers. The trees leant over the road, forming a gorgeous greenery arch. In one particular tree, there were two robins perching on a branch, nuzzling beside one another. I smiled as we passed them before looking back down to the road. There was a blur of red as a car rounded the corner, swerving madly.

It was just like in all of the movies. Real life turned to slow motion. The man throws his arm around his wife to try to protect her and ends up sacrificing his own safety for her. The sound of cold metal twisting and tearing filled my ears, accompanied by a heart-wrenching scream. My body was flung forward by the force but then yanked back by the seatbelt. Hot blood splattered across my face and the screaming stopped. Everything was quiet.

Drip, drip, drip.

That sound echoed through my mind, continually piercing the silence with its irritating defiance to continue. I could smell a certain metallic stench, as if I had been holding a metal slab for too long and it leaked its stench into my hands, yet it wasn't just on my hands. It filled the entire room. I tried to force my eyes to open, but they seemed to be glued shut. Blood. That's what the smell was. I knew that because I could taste it. The hot, wet metallic taste at the back of my throat, threatening to choke me with its vile bitterness. The silence didn't last as long as I hoped. Everything was peaceful before the noise came back. Voices and sirens. They appeared loud and clear around me without warning. Loud screams, yelling and arguing. Some voices sounded familiar yet I couldn't put a name to them without seeing them. The screaming echoed in my mind, taking it over completely. The ear-piercing cries of despair. It stopped. The dripping that had continued through the whole return of my senses. The dripping of blood stopped, however, my relief was short lived as an excruciating pain rippled through me as if I had been stabbed repeatedly and my heart had been torn from my chest. The agony centred in my right leg, stretching from my toes to my thigh. I withered against it, trying to curl forward. I was being held back by hands around my neck which prevented me to do so. I thrashed wildly as they held me in place against the unbearable pain. Their hands were rough and cold. I almost cringed when it returned. The god forsaken dripping of my own blood. Except this time, it was worse. I could feel what was happening. My leg was being crushed, my bones were bending in ways they shouldn't. I screamed.

"Mrs Dean, I need you to stay still. You may have a neck injury." The paramedic, I assume, tried to communicate with me.

"Jess!" I heard, but I still couldn't open my eyes.

"Adam? Where is he? Adam!" I panicked, twisting in the seat.

"Jessica." They tried to get my attention. "Jessica, calm down. Just open your eyes."

It was like magic. The heavy sheet on my eyes was removed and they flew open. The first thing I saw was my beautiful, blood-stained wedding dress. The now-red fabric flowers that rippled down my waist were mostly torn, or completely missing. Next, I looked up to see my husband. He was in the same position as me. His head was held by another paramedic and his suit was covered in blood too. I looked down. Our hands were perfectly tangled. He smiled at me.

"Adam" I sighed before dozens of miniscule black dots appeared upon my vision, and I slowly faded into unconsciousness.