Chapter Nine: Dead Man

"We notified the police and they're on their way here. Do you have any idea who they might be?"

I shook my head. And I doubt Jared would help us. He's already gone.

"Maybe.....maybe we shouldn't tell the police...." I mumbled.

"What are you talking about? It's dangerous." My father stated.

I nodded again and began making my way towards my bedroom. I can't put Jessica at risk. And I can't put my dad in danger. So I snuck out of my balcony and walked towards the neighborhood park.

When I got to the tree, I began to hesitate. What if they kill me? It's too late to back out now. Jessica's life is at risk.

I turned around and there was a man dressed in a dark suit. "Hello," he looked around and smiled. "Good....you didn't call the police. If I see the police, I will signal for my men to kill your sister. Got it?"

I nodded and he walked towards me.

"Now tell me where he is,"

"W-Who are you talking about?" I stuttered.

"You know who I'm talking about!" I shook in fear and backed up until my back was against the railing. "Don't make me ask you again." He said through clenched teeth. "Where is that damn bastard?!"

You just asked me again. I wanted to remark back but decided to keep my tongue from getting chopped off. "I-I don't know....h-he said he was leaving...."

"Leaving to go where?!" He growled and wrapped his fingers around my throat. "Tell. Me. Now!!"

I choked and scratched at his fingers but his grip only tighten. My visions were starting to blur when suddenly a gunshot was heard. The man screamed, dropping to the ground and clutching his leg.

Then someone grabbed me. I screamed, trying to pry at his hands but I was suddenly pulled into someone's chest and he began murmuring into my ear. "It's okay.....it's me...."

I looked up through my tears and came face to face with Jared.

"J-Jared...." I cried as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He stiffened under me and pushed me behind him.

"Where is he?" The man breathed out. "Where the hell is your bastard of a brother?! Do you have any idea how much money he stole from me?"

"I don't know where he is and I don't care how much money he took from you." Jared stated.

"I will kill you!" The man growled.

"Not if I kill you first," Jared pointed the gun at the man's head.

"You're gonna k-kill him?" I asked.

"I'm not gonna let this bastard live....especially after doing that to you." He mumbled then he turned back towards the man lying on the ground. "Where is the other girl?"

How did Jared even know about this?

"Just kill me...I'll never tell you where she is." The man laughed. "I don't work for Max anymore....so you can't order me around."

Who were they talking about?

Jared didn't even hesitate. He took a step forward and pulled the trigger, sending the gunshot to echo through the empty area. "Emery..." he turned around and my eyes widen.

"A-Are you going to kill me?" I asked.

"What?" He chuckled. "Of course not. Why would you think that?"

"Because I just witnessed you killing a person....a-are you really a criminal?"

He smiled softly before walking towards me. "I'm doing this for a reason....they know what you look like and where you live. Even if Will decided to let you-" he suddenly paused and brought his hand to his mouth.