Chapter One

Updated disclaimer (2017): It's been 6 years and I sincerely apologize for the levels of cringe involved and the general naivete and insensitivity of my 14 year old self. I'm 20 now and (thankfully) a much better writer/person, but this story will always have a place in my heart and I know that it does in others' too. 

Disclaimer: All characters (except Tammy) and the original work is property of S.E. Hinton as published in her novel The Outsiders. I do not own them.

Author's note: Hey! This is my first ever Wattpad story. If you're reading this I'll assume you have either read or watched The Outsiders (if you haven't, I strongly advise you to read/watch it first and then come back) because this may contain spoilers and references to events in the original.

Please note the following:

- Bob, Johnny and Dally are alive

- The characters' looks are based on the film (e.g. instead of having dark gold hair, Sodapop has brown hair, like in the movie)

- The story is set in the 1960's, so you might spot some old slang (;

- The characters' ages are as follows;

Darry = 20

Two-Bit = 18

Soda & Johnny, Tammy and the Socs = 16 (although Johnny looks REALLY young for his age)

Dallas & Steve = 17

Ponyboy = 14

Feel free to leave tips and suggestions (:

Chapter One
Tammy's POV

"Wake up, time for school!"
I yawned groggily and opened my eyes. My mother whacked me playfully.

"It's your first day, don't want to be late for that now, would you?"
I sat up and remembered I was in Tulsa. All because of my stupid uncle Buck who Mom, his only living relation, had to look after because he was so irresponsible.

I didn't want to leave my friends behind in Washington. I liked it there. I was popular and admired for my feistiness. I believed that if someone couldn't bother chasing after me, then they weren't worth my time.
I rolled out of bed and decided to wear my new plaid skirt with a light blue shirt. I ran a brush through my hair and walked downstairs to my breakfast - scrambled eggs.

"Have a good day!" my mom called from the kitchen.

"I will," I replied, stepping out the door. Uncle Buck was driving me to school today; I guess he had nothing better to do anyway.

"Hi," I said, deciding to ride shotgun and closing the door. Buck gave me a sideways glance. His blue eyes pierced mine.

I found it hard to believe Buck was my uncle. He was my mother's younger brother and they looked completely different; but maybe that was because of the age difference and Buck would resemble Mom more when he was older. Mom was in her late thirties while Buck was in his early twenties, young enough to be my brother. He was lean, handsome and tall, with a lopsided grin that made him popular with the ladies. I took after my dad with his black hair and brown eyes, and Mom had the same eyes as Buck but no other similarities.

"Hi shorty," he said. I punched him lightly and he rolled his eyes. It wasn't as if I hadn't been called short before.

"I'm not short, you're just too tall," I countered.

"Whatever." He started the engine and drove a little bit too fast down the street.

"Watch it, man!" I almost yelled.

Buck chuckled. "Me, going too fast? Damn girl, you ain't ever wanna get in the car with Dallas. He'd blow you up."

"Who's Dallas?" I asked cautiously.