Prologue

There is something about going through an airport that excites me. I don't know why, but the long lines for boarding passes, the awkward security checks, and crowded boarding areas are interesting to me. Probably because I don't leave the lab often. It's not that I'm not invited to go places; it's just that I don't like leaving the comfort of Houston.

However, arriving at an airport stresses me out. I will always have the feeling that someone will take my luggage by mistake, or the airline loses my luggage. I already have enough stress with running an entire department at NASA; I don't want to worry about anything else. Although, now I'm beginning training to go to Mars, so my stress might just increase more. Awesome...

It's currently 11:30pm, and I just flew in from spending a week in England, attending the International Conference on Chemistry and Environmental Sciences Research, or simply, the ICCESR. I had been invited by the European Space Agency to speak about chemistry's impact in the space programs, and how we can learn more about the planets surrounding us with new techniques. I actually assisted the ESA in developing some of these techniques, as, at one point, my services were "leased out" by NASA.

Now, years later, I had been asked by Teddy Sanders, the director of NASA, to put these techniques to the test on Mars. I had already completed two years of standard training, and three missions to the International Space Station, but these days, I've been running the Chemistry Department at the Johnson Space Center. It's been nice to be on solid ground for a while. However, that all changes tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I'll be back at the Johnson Space Center, running my department. Around noon, I'll be meeting the other 5 people I'm traveling to Mars with. I had met Commander Melissa Lewis before I left, but the other 4 astronauts joining us had not been available. The rest of them had met each other whilst I was away, as the conference was considered a higher priority case. NASA considered the ICCESR to be a way to reach out to the public about the need for space programs, now that funding was decreasing, so I went to spark an interest in research beyond our atmosphere.

I would be training with these people for two years, then traveling with them for another one. They might have already established friendships, so I would have to turn on the charm to secure my spot in the circle. Although, the director assigned me to the Ares III mission himself, so I'm not too worried. I'm a fairly outgoing woman, so I should be able to make friends relatively quickly.

Day 1 of the biggest mission of my life starts tomorrow. So, between then and now, I'm going to go home, sleep off the jet lag, and mentally prepare myself to impress the hell out of my new coworkers.