As we trained to become murders, we fell in love - we've been separated for years.... a love story 1

She looked across the path and froze past her forced stillness. She, rather subconsciously, doubted even her hair moved. She had her dark brown eyes fixated on a boy a bit older than her, hunched over in the tall grass. He seemed well proportioned, but rather short. His straight-ish dark hair was in a condition of a semblance of combed but seemed unruly and altogether a bit messy. His skin was pale ivory, but sun-darkened. His eyes were a strikingly marvelous deep blue that seemed penetrating. They were like cut-and-polished gemstones, with light reflecting off different hues in the overall shade in radiating rays originating from the pupil. Fine lines branched out from the corner of those dark-lashed eyes, as though he squinted often. His cheekbones were freckled, as well as the bridge of his well-featured nose. She felt-lightheaded at the lack of oxygen and felt as her heart re-started, going double its usual pace.

*

She blinked as she pulled herself from the memory. She half-turned and looked into the mirror. Her hair was a dark as ever, her face equaled a human woman in her prime, and looked nothing near how old she actually was. She blinked the mist out of her wise dark brown eyes. He was the love of her life. He was the ultimate challenge, or rather, had been. She had never been very striking as a young girl, and she had been exceptionally ordinary at the time of their meeting.

*

His blue eyes flashed to meet hers and she felt the urge to blush. His eyes were cold and faraway and she had been openly studying him. Their eyes remained locked for several long moments.

“Hello.” His voice was lovely, high-pitched but even and intense.

“Hello,” I breathed carefully in response. Something registered in his marvelous eyes as I spoke although I couldn’t read it. He then moved carefully toward me, across the dark tan path. Not for the first time I wished foolishly for darker skin. I was as pale as a cloud.

“What, if I may, were you doing skulking around these parts?” His soft query echoed softly in my mind – his voice was so lovely!

“I was simply going out for a stroll…..” I knew that sounded pathetic, but it was all I had and it was the truth.

Curiosity would overcome his suspicion and brush away politeness at my evasive answer – I could tell it from the look in his eyes. His even more intense than usual voice confirmed my thoughts, as well as the he said:

“You decided to take a two-hour stroll at eleven o’clock in the morning – why?”

I bit my under-lip has I gauged the boy – was he trustworthy enough? With that face – there was no question, it was an absolute no.

“I really should not tell you.”