As we trained to become murders, we fell in love - we've been separated for years.... a love story 2

His blue eyes narrowed in suspicion once more and his face froze to something colder than ice. I felt torn for some reason – it was as though I was horrified and disgusted at myself for not giving this boy everything I possibly could. My eyes burned. What kind of a monster was I? And then disgust permeated everything: what had happened to me?

***

I blinked. There was no way the absolutely gorgeous girl across the dirt path was real. She possessed an ethereal beauty that I had never stumbled upon before. My suspicions built up but I pretended to ignore her as I watched her take in every detail of me with her cold face. She was tiny – even shorter than me – but seemed to have a commanding presence. Her hair was dark and lovely, flowing down her back in soft, dark waves. Her face was small and soft with high cheekbones and wide, soft, full lips that looked inviting. Her eyebrows were perfectly arched over her intense eyes and her nose was straight and turned up a little at the end. She had no freckles marring her lovely face, only a natural light rose to her cheeks. I felt heat diffuse my cheeks as she studied my face – and wished futilely, foolishly for my freckles to be gone. I felt her dark brown eyes studying every feature of my being and I felt self-conscious for the first time in years. Five to be exact. I was older than she was but that didn’t really matter to me, nor did the fact that I had lost any charm in Training. I knew I had to approach her, or something inside me would break. I turned and flicked my attention toward her. Our eyes locked and something held back in Training broke and I blinked the mist out of my eyes.

I called “Hello” and she responded in an absolutely lovely voice. My insides melted and it was then I set the goal to get

her to laugh.

I moved toward her, carefully, so as to not scare her away. I watched my steps more vigilantly than ever before. I noticed the deep tan of the path that I crossed to be nearer to her and hid a shudder, wishing for skin only one color. I crouched down near her and began my questioning: I wanted to know as much as I possibly could about this celestial being, a being as marvelous, delicate-looking [he can see her fierceness as well …. How to include? …] , and aloof as a cloud.

“What, if I may, were you doing skulking around these parts?” I queried softly, becomingly I hoped. I knew that I had to get to know her, or else I would crumble.

“I was simply going out for a stroll…..” There was something in her voice that made me believe her pathetic excuse of an excuse but I hungered for more. I subconsciously let some of the intense curiosity register in my eyes. I could not even remember politeness as I asked for more. I only realized how sharp I had been after I had finished and something registered in her lovely brown eyes.

“You decided to take a two-hour stroll at eleven o’clock in the morning – why?”

She seemed to come to another decision as her eyes raked over my face again, the decision being that she would have to disappoint me.

“I really should not tell you.”

Something inside me cracked nastily, but I hastily repressed it and cooled my face back to its normal frozen state.

I knew my eyes lightened with rejection, though, and I blinked the resulting tears away.

Something also seemed to crack in the depths of her brown eyes.

I knew I had to continue and I did.

“Will you at least tell me who you are?” I cut off more before I embarrassed myself and scared her away from me.

“Yes. I am Kanus Argent. And who might you be?”

“I would rather remain unidentified. Tell me, though, why did you choose these parts for your ‘stroll’?”