Asgard, the City of the Gods

The Many Halls of Asgard
Odin and the Aesir all lived in Asgard, which shone brighter than the sun. There were many magnificent halls, from Thor's hall Bilskirnir to Balder's hall Breidablik to Odin silver tower, Valaskjalf. At the center of Asgard was the field Ida. There, the gods played chess with golden pieces on golden boards under the golden foliage of the birch tree Glasir.

The Steed of Odin
While the gods where discussing how to replace the fence around Asgard, which the Vanir destroyed during the war, a large, hairy man riding in a horse-drawn wagon showed up. He said he would build a wall for them if they gave him the sun, the moon, and Freya's hand in marriage. Loki told the mason if he completed the wall by winter, he would get his compensation. Unfortunately, the mason was incredibly fast, so Loki changed into a mare and wooed away the man's horse, Svardilfari, prompting his master to follow. By the time the mason and his horse returned, winter was over and the gatehouse wasn't complete. Realizing he had been tricked, the mason, who was actually a jotun in disguise, started tearing the wall down, only to be killed by Thor's hammer. The Aesir completed the wall themselves and it held. Nine months later, Loki appeared at the gates, leading an eight-legged colt, whom he had mothered as the mare. The colt grew into a strong stallion and became Odin's faithful steed, Sleipnir.

Valhalla, the Vikings' Paradise
Life was anything but peaceful in Midgard, for men often warred with each other. They often fought for gold, food, land, and for the fun of it. People knew a bloody battle was coming when Odin was seen riding through the skies on Sleipnir. He threw his spear at the losing side and charged into battle accompanied by the Valkyries, warrior handmaidens of both divine of mortal blood, known for their winged helmets, swan cloaks, glowing spears, and nebulous horses. They flew over battlefields, spiriting away dying warriors who fought bravely to Valhalla, the feast hall of the slain. It was there the deceased warriors, known as the einherjar, dined in the presence of Odin. Valhalla was a truly splendid place, with golden shields for roof tiles, spear shafts for rafters, and coats of mail hanging on the walls. A tree called Laeradur grew at the center at the hall, inhabited by many creatures. There was Eikthymir, a hart whose horns spewed all the waters of the world, and Heidrun, a goat that produced mead instead of milk. The main course was fresh pork, courtesy of Saehriminir, an immortal hog killed and cooked every night in the cauldron Eldhrimir by the chef Andhrimnir. Once dinner was over, the einherjar retired upon the benches and woke in a quarrelsome mood the next morning. Donning their armor and grabbing their weapons, they headed to the field of Ida, where they slaughtered each other in combat. The most ferocious ones were the berserkers, who wore the pelts of bears and wolves for strength and invulnerability. At dinnertime, the warriors literally pulled themselves together and headed back to Valhalla as the best of friends.