Inside Man

It had been two months of hunting for the boys, with me staying home and doing everything I could, but unable to do much. I wasn't involved with the hunting. I was just involved with the smarts and the go-to girl in case they needed help on finding out what to do. 

But it was making me restless as hell.

I was having nightmares of my time as a demon, killing Lester, those guys in the bar, and then killing those guys that had gone after Claire, reliving the fight with Cain, remembering when he had told me.

"Why do you think I started killing all of my descendants, Ness? Why now? Why did I start only a few short weeks ago?"

"I don't know. I don't care. It doesn't have anything to do with me. I'm not your descendant."

"It has everything to do with you. You may not be my descendant, but you're married to one. But it's not just that. No, no, no. You're carrying two. I'm doing this for you, my dear. So you won't have to go through what I already have. To spare you from the pain of seeing your children turn into monsters."

"Even if what you say is true, I don't believe that they'll turn into the same monster as you."

I remembered the doctor's appointment.

"I believe one is a boy. And the other is a girl."

I remembered me and Dean talking.

"I'm just starting to think that... maybe there's more to it all than I thought. I can't keep doing that and end up getting killed. I can't do that to you, and I sure as hell can't do that to them. I'm not leaving you alone to deal with this on your own. I don't buy for one second that the Mark is a terminal diagnosis. And with everything that's going on, we gotta get that thing off of you now more than ever. I'll do anything to get this off f you."

"Even if I can't do anything to help?"

  ~~~~~~~~~       

I was lured back to consciousness when I felt someone kissing my belly to draw me awake, hearing Deans voice. "It's just a dream, Ness. Come back to me."

I still had my eyes closed, mumbling, deciding to tease him and pretend to still be asleep. "Protect me. Save me. Dean..."

"Now you're just pretending," Dean told me.

"Am not," I told him, opening my eyes, looking at Dean, smiling a small, tired smile. "Maybe just a little."

"What were you dreaming about?" Dean asked.

I sighed, looking down. "Everything."

Dean looked like he wanted to help but didn't know how.

  ~~~~~~~~~       

I was starting to show a little bit more, a little bit more round and bloated, because it had been two months since the job with the ghost named Isabella.

Dean and I were in the library when morning came.

"Avian," I told him.

"A bird?" Dean asked skeptically. "Really?"

I smiled a small smile. "It's a lot more than just a bird."

"Veto," Dean told me. "Gaige."

"Gaige gauge?" I asked sarcastically. "Veto. Ever."