23. The Defying End

23. The Defying End

Blade clung onto the last hope he had, and looked down at Alaina with hopeful eyes. Praying, he hoped she would wake up, it was either her or Cain. He knew, in his heart that he couldn't pick out of the two of them to know who to save, but somewhere in his heart, it was telling him that he wanted Alaina to live. He felt guilt wrench inside his gut.

"Kill me," Eris whispered gently.

Blade looked up from Alaina, a tear sliding down his cheek. He wiped it away in order to look at Eris with un-blurred eyes. Instead of finding her bending over Cain's still body, she was standing before Blade.

The air around them was cold and spits of rain was falling onto the wooden deck, scattering the wooden texture with dark spots.

"Excuse me?"

"Kill me," she said, this time with more vigour.

Blade wanted to say, gladly. But he couldn't bring himself to do it. As Eris stared down at him with her glazed blue eyes, he couldn't find it in his heart to kill her. To end someone's life wasn't something that he wanted to do. But he also knew that if he wasn't going to do it, Eris would bring it upon herself to do the task at hand.

"Blade please, do this one thing for me," she said, noticing the way his jaw was flexing in thought. "I can't live if my brother doesn't. Not when... not when it was me who ended him."

Blade looked past Eris's small figure and over at Cain lying on the ground. His eyes then travelled back up to meet Eris's before shaking his head.

"I can't," he said.

Eris bowed her head, a tear sliding down her face and lying to rest on the ground.

"I understand," she said.

Blade turned his head from Eris and back down to Alaina.

"Will she ever wake?" Blade asked, his throat closing over in tears.

"I don't know," Eris said.

Blade watched as Eris walked across the wooden deck and past her crew mates. He looked through the forest of legs and over to see Eris stand before the railing of the ship. The crew mates, both Blade's and Eris's, were all standing still in shock and horror.

"I hope so," she whispered against the wind. She turned her head back to look at Blade. "But you know that they both can't live, right?"

Blade nodded. "I know."

Eris nodded her head, before turning back to look at the rising water. The water slapped itself against the sides of the ship as the wind picked up. Her hands turned white from clutching the wooden railing too tightly.

"I'm sorry Blade."

Blade barely heard her and it took a few moments for him to register the words she'd spoken.

"Magik is a powerful thing and it too control of me. And now... now I'm left with nothing but hatred from everyone."

"You could change it, you know," Blade said. "Change the circumstances."

Eris shrugged. "There is simply no point."

Blade was about to say something else before she hoisted herself up onto the railing and positioned herself into a sitting position on the railing. Blade realised her intention but didn't make a haste to stop her. Her hands gripped the railing once more before she closed her eyes and whispered her last words: