Chapter Six

When the shock wore off and all I could see were those yellow eyes staring into my soul, I immediately freaked out. I wrenched my hand away from her, scratching her pretty bad in the process. I tucked myself away underneath my bed and I refused to look at the girl, or I suppose Cammie, as she had just told me.

My heart pounded loudly and I could still remember exactly how her delicate hand felt in mine. Her grip was firm but fragile at the same time. And the palm of her hand was surprisingly rough and cold. It sent shivers down my spine just thinking about it. I remained under my bed long after Cammie left. Something about her frightened me and angered me. I wished she would stop coming to my cell because she was messing with my head.

I fell asleep under my bed. It wasn't long before I was awakened by the monster. This time, the monster took a less violent approach. And that was something I feared. Because when I fought the monster, at least I didn't have to deal with the memories. But sometimes the monster would purposely bring back those memories and the pain was much worse than the physical wounds I received. All I could do was brace myself as the flashback took over.

"Can't you just be there for me?! Just once okay?!" I screamed at her.

Her face scrunched up into a wrangled mess and she scoffed with hatred.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" She screamed back. "I have always been there! You are the one who is always giving me excuses and standing me up!"

"Well I'm sorry if I just wanna have fun once in a while! All you do is study and you never make time for me! Do I even matter anymore?"

"Of course you do! How can you say that? And I study for my future! Maybe you should stop being such a jerk and sober up for once!"

"Why don't you just loosen up okay?! You're just like my dad!"

The moment I said it I instantly knew that I had made a mistake. I didn't mean it and it was in the heat of the moment but the words were out and the damage was done. She froze and was completely silent. We stood there breathing heavily from the heated argument. I opened my mouth to apologize but in a flash she had run up the stairs. I heard her soft sniffles echo through the hallway. It was my fault I knew, but I didn't follow her. I should have followed her. I should have stopped her and told her I loved her.

The painful memories slowly faded and I woke up to a ringing in my ears. The monster had retreated and left a devastating wreckage in its wake. I winced at the ache in my scalp and saw the clumps of hair on the floor. Blood was splattered on the wall. From what I did not know. I got up from under my bed and instantly cried out. I remembered the shards still in my feet and I cursed. I turned to my bars and realized the Band-Aids and the ointment were still there. I sighed in relief and crawled over. I reached for the Band-Aid and realized there were 5 of them. I wrinkled my brow in confusion. Wasn't there just one?

Whatever. I gingerly picked the rest of the pieces off my feet and smeared the cream over them. The initial stinging was immediately followed by a numbing sensation which I was undeniably grateful for. I bandaged my feet and dragged myself onto my bed. Cammie was coming soon.

When she appeared, I was first hit by the large smile that graced her face. She walked right up to the bars and sat across from me. We stared at each other for a few seconds before she noticed my bandaged feet. Her smile grew wider if that was even possible. I felt the heat rush to my cheeks and tried to tuck my feet underneath me but gave up after a few attempts.