Chapter 11

Cara showed up a week after school started, but something was wrong.  She had cut her waist long hair up to her ears and had multiple piercings in her nose, eyebrow, and ears.  She was still beautiful, just a different kind.  Honestly, Jeffrey still loved her. 

She kept to herself.  She didn't stand up for herself or anyone else.  Her righteousness seemed to have left her body.  Jeffrey didn't know what to think of her, just that he still loved her.  How could he not love her?

He couldn't bring up the courage to talk to her at school or sit with her at lunch.  She seemed to have  changed so much in only three months.  She was too quiet, too subdued.  He hardly recognized her.  

He finally brought up the courage to instant message her and waited.  The typing icon came up for nearly five minutes before she actually sent the message.  "I'm sorry.  I just need some space."

Jeffrey didn't know what to say to that.  He had hoped to get his best friend back.  All he wanted was his best friend back.

Jeffrey: Sorry to have bothered you.  I just wanted to talk.

Cara: It's fine.  I'm just stressed right now.  I'll talk to tomorrow.

Jeffrey: Okay. Bye :D

She didn't reply, just signed out and went back to whatever she had been doing.  Jeffrey didn't know what to do.  The worst scenario played out.  She hadn't wanted to talk to him, just like he had feared.  They say that the truth hurts, but Tyler had said that you should always tell it.

That's exactly what Cara had done, too. She had just told the truth.  The only problem was that Jeffrey couldn't handle it.  Then again, most people can't.  It wasn't his fault that he couldn't take brutal honesty.  Life was just that way sometimes.