Chapter 12

Have you ever felt like you're nothing but an empty shell of what used to be human, walking around with no specific purpose in life? If you have, then you're not alone

Have you ever felt like you're nothing but an empty shell of what used to be human, walking around with no specific purpose in life? If you have, then you're not alone. Because that's the same dilemma I'm currently battling with at the moment. However, as surprising as it may be to most, it isn't as miserable or ominous as it sounds. At least, for me it isn't. I don't know how to explain it in exact words.

It's sort of confusing and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it yet.

Lately, I've been feeling completely and hopelessly lost. My sense of direction doesn't seem to be functioning properly anymore. I can't seem to differentiate which way is up or which way is down. Where is east? How about west? Do I make a right? Or should I take a left? It's safe to assume that I haven't been myself; even I've noticed my peculiar behavior.

My mind has been restless, and per usual, it has to do with a particular boy with a pale complexion and a head full of dark brown locks. I'd be lying if I said Noah hasn't been occupying my thoughts, because he has been, a lot too actually.

Yeah, I sound like one of those confused, teenaged girls you can't help but get frustrated with in those cliché, romance movies, but it's not my fault. Emotions aren't black and white. They're a little more complicated than that. If you don't agree, please realize that not everyone's the same. We're all entitled to our own opinions and this is mine. Feelings are a fickle subject to touch upon and sometimes, I wish I didn't have any. Life would be a tad bit dull without them, but simultaneously, it would also be easier.

As I hop off the bus, recklessly enough, I cross the street without checking if any cars are around. Sorry Seymour the Safety Seal. My thoughtless actions, thankfully, does not have severe consequences. I hear the screeching of tires and soon after, my ears are deafened by a loud honk. I jump up, clearly frazzled. The driver, a woman whose lips are smeared with neon-green lipstick, sticks her head out of the window, spewing a string of profanities at me. Quickly, I duck my head down as a small form of apology before I scurry across to the other side of the road.

"Rory, what's wrong with you? I saw that," Maria appears out of nowhere and I let out a small shriek this time. Her thick brows come together as she purses her lips. "Yeah, something's definitely going on. Spill it."

"I wouldn't even know where to begin," I confess as my nerves settle back down. The two of us walk across the plaza towards the entrance of the school. Other students are hanging around outside, and a few people even greet us with waves and smiles. "It's about Noah," I mutter, the grip on my backpack straps tightening.

Maria immediately halts in her tracks, as if she's been struck with Gru's infamous freeze ray. "It's about who?" she balks, her jaw slacked open. I totally saw this coming from a mile away. But hey, it's a hundred times better than the response I would receive from Peyton.

Knowing her, she'd probably scream until her lungs ruptured. And Luna? Don't even get me started on that girl. She'd probably skin me alive if she found out about the forbidden events that have ensued between me and her so-called future husband. How am I supposed to break the news to her?