Chapter 14

"Tell me," Von Kliest said as he took a small puff on his cigarette, "Where is your precious resistance now?"

"Right here!" Jesse shouted. Winnie spun on her heel in time to see three small grenades fly over her head and head straight to Von Kliest. Fear flashed in his eyes, as he quickly dove out of the way, along with his men. Jesse suddenly appeared from the woods, running down the hill to Winnie. "Come on!" he said. Jesse grabbed her hand and pulled her up the hill towards the trees that were on the other side of the road. Andre carried Henri in his arms, and Cheri followed.

The grenades landed, and Winnie heard them each explode on impact. Then, she heard the screams coming from Von Kliest's men. She knew that sound would haunt her dreams, just like the screams she heard at the hospital, but she didn't turn back. Suddenly, ten dark figures emerged from behind the trees, running forward toward the nazis. Winnie immediately recognized Luiz and Rufus among them, along with some other members of the resistance. She also recognized some members of the village, which surprised her.

The quickly descended upon the hill, firing at the nazis, while Winnie and the rest of her group continued the treck uphill. Von Kliest's men seemed to have recovered from the first attack, and began firing back at the resistance. She heard Von Kliest screaming orders at his men, and she dared a look back. Von Kliest and his men were retreating! The resistance ducked behind flower boxes, but they didn't have much cover. Winnie's heart skipped a beat as she watched a a bullet pierce a member of the resistance, and she quickly looked away, continuing up the hill. They were almost to the trees!

"We're almost there!" Jesse encouraged. Miles and Erik ran alongside him, turning around every few seconds to fire at the nazis. 

Suddenly, Winnie heard the unmistakable sound of a bullet piercing flesh. She heard a man scream, and she knew immediately that it wasn't the Tucks. 

Erik crumpled to his knees, wearing an expression of pain and fear. Miles caught him before he fell completely to the ground, and Andre watched horrified. Erik coughed, and met Andre's eyes.

"Keep going." Erik whispered. His voice sounded weak. Andre nodded, his eyebrows furrowed with determination. They continued up the hill, Miles half dragging, half carrying Erik with him. As soon as they reached the protection of the trees, they crowded around Erik as Miles gently laid him down. Miles looked to Winnie, and she gently helped him sit up, so that she could remove his jacket.

The back of his shirt was stained with blood. She placed her hand on his back, and could tell from the wheezing from his lungs, that he didn't have much time. She looked to Andre with tears in her eyes and gently shook her head. Andre fell to his knees beside Erik, and Winnie laid him in Andre's arms. She moved back, watching them with despair. She felt a warm, comforting arm wrap around her shoulder, and she was pulled close to Jesse's body. Winnie glanced at Miles, who stood watching on. He breathed heavily, his eyebrows creased with worry. She saw something flicker in his eyes, and she recognized it as anger.

Erik struggled to speak, but his eyes danced about wildly, as if he had much to say. Below them, the gunshots dwindled, until they ceased all together. At the same time, so did his heart.

The world seemed to dance about in odd shapes and colors faintly resembling trees and people. Winnie was slightly aware of members of the resistance racing back up the hill, but she didn't acknowledge them. 

Tears ran down her cheeks as Jesse helped her stand. "Who else did we lose?" Miles asked them. Rufus shifted on his feet, staring at the ground.

"Pierre, the shoe maker, who volunteered." he paused. "And Luiz." Miles groaned and ran his hands through his hair. Cheri stepped toward Andre.

"Andre! We have to go!" She shrieked. Andre still cradled Erik's body. He wearily looked up at Cheri.

"What about Erik?" he asked. "He needs to be buried." Miles knelt next to Andre and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"We have to go." he stated. "This is our only chance." Andre sighed, and then nodded. He slowly raised to his feet while Miles spoke to the resistance. After a minute, Miles turned back to address Winnie and Jesse.

"We are splitting up." he said. "The resistance is going to the barn, and we are taking to the woods." Jesse stepped forward.

"What about Andre and his family?" He asked. "The Nazis will be looking for them." Andre stepped forward, placing a hand on Jesse's shoulder.

"We have family a few miles away. I know the way. You must go, my friend." Andre and Jesse locked eyes, and then Andre pulled him into a bear hug.

"I guess this is goodbye." Cheri said. Winnie hugged her.

"For now." Winnie corrected, stroking a tear from her face. Everyone hugged, and said their goodbyes, and then Miles, Jesse, and Winnie watched everybody go off on their own paths. The three turned to each other, and shared a glance that only they could translate. They were alone once again.

Pulling Winnie close to him, Jesse shrugged at Miles, and the three of them walked into the woods. If they could find the village that Erik had told them about, they would find a way home.

- - - -  - -  -- - - - - - - - -  -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - -- 

"You are not cooperating, Jew." Von Kliest stated, digging his hot cigarette into the hand of his prisoner. Luiz's face showed pain, and anger, yet he didn't cry out. This frustrated Von Kliest even more. He leaned back in his chair, flicking the cigarette aside. "Perhaps you need an incentive." Luiz met his eyes.

"I will not betray my friends." Luiz stated. Von Kliest smiled.

"I was hoping you would say that." He replied. Von Kliest raised his fingers to his mouth, and whistled sharply. The wooden door to Andre's living room suddenly burst open, and two soldiers entered, escorting a small girl with soft brown hair, and frightened brown eyes. She was shaking. As soon as she saw the man, she tried to run to him, but the soldiers held her back.

"Daddy!" She screamed, while the man tried to sooth her from a distance.

"Its going to be alright, dear." He whispered. A man from the village quickly entered behind the soldiers, twisting his cap around nervously.

"Im sorry, Luiz" the villager said softly. "I had to tell them about her. They gave me no-" the man yelped as Luiz sprang from the chair to grab at him. Luiz was caught and pushed back down to his seat. He winced at the pain of the gunshot wound on his waist, then stared daggers at the man, who took a step back.

"Now, we're getting somewhere!" Von Kliest exclaimed exuberantly. Luiz sunk into his chair, realizing that he was trapped. He watched in horror, as Von Kliest produced a pistol from his coat pocket, and pointed it at Luiz's frightened little girl. 

"Now." Von Kliest said as he cocked his gun. "Where are they heading?"