Family, Family

'I HATE THIS FAMILY! Leave me ALONE' I scream, spit flying as I slam the door in my parents shocked faces. 

The world swims as I angrily kick at a garden gnome sitting innocently on the stone patio, sending it flying into the wall with a smash. My old, rusted, blue bike lies waiting against the hedge. My feet pound the pedals with extreme force, hands going white from my strong grip on the bars. I can hear my twin brother shouting. 'Ameliaaa come back!' but I stare straight ahead, ignoring the endless flow of tears that stream down my wrecked face. Not planning to go back home for a while, I devise a plan as I fly along the concrete walkway. Just because they ban me from the biggest party of the year doesn't mean I can't sneak out and still go. 

Feeling more relaxed, I slow my bike to a halt at a spacious park. Its empty except for a few joggers, which I'm glad about, because even without a mirror, I know my face is red and blotchy. They said I wasn't allowed to go to the party because it was too late, because there would be inappropriate drinking and behaviour, because I've been getting into trouble at school, because, because, because. I sigh and pick at the grass beneath my feet. Maybe I shouldn't have screamed at my parents, they've always been there for me and I know that I've been getting into fights at school, but I've made up my mind. I'm going to that party whether they like it or not. 

Just as I stand up to pedal back home and face my parents, my twin brother, Ben, comes cycling round the corner, keeping his eyes on our 5 year old sister scootering wobbly beside him. My brother and I are both 9 years old and as identical as you can get for male and female twins. We seem old for our age, being independent, tall and muscular. A mop of sandy blond hair tickles my brothers eyelashes while mine is held up in a messy ponytail, bits hanging everywhere. We have blue eyes and a spatter of freckles across our noses. Our tanned skin never fades as almost everyday is spent at the beach. Our 5 year old sister Sarah is slightly different. The same blue eyes and freckles, but the short cropped brown hair of our dad. A mischievous grin plays at her lips as she comes to a halt and topples sideways into the grass, giggling. I stand up and glare at Ben as he looks at me sheepishly, pushing his hair off his eyes. 

'What are you doing' I question angrily, stepping forward to heave my bike off the ground as he pulls Sarah up out of the grass and onto his hip.

'I have been sent to collect you after your little tantrum. YOU are in some deep shit' He grins, placing Sarah back onto the scooter and sliding onto his bicycle seat. I give him the rude finger as I pull out onto the pathway, pedalling slowly as Sarah zooms along as fast as she can in front of me. As we near our street, the smell of thick smoke makes my nose sting and eyes burn. Fire sirens wail quietly in the distance. I glance at Ben and raise my eyebrow, heart thumping, before we pedal out on the road to investigate. 

Ben shouts. I don't hear what he says over the sirens until I come to the realisation myself. I scream and look over at Ben, blurred with tears. The world is fuzzy and I drop off my bike onto the ground. Ben shouts again, shaking me back into reality. I scoop up a confused Sarah and sprint as fast as I can, right on Bens heels, sobbing and begging. I watch in fear, confusion and horror as Ben strains against a firefighter towards the house. Our house. The house that my parents are in. The house that is on fire, alight with dozens of flames. The flames that will replay in my dreams for years on end.