Chapter 17

Kyle's POV

Abby was holding my hand as I told the doctor I wanted to do the surgery. She hardly understood what was going on, but was still trying to send the message that it was okay.

"Kyle you have to be 100% sure you want to do this, its a very risky decision." The doctor says. I nod.
I'm sure. I sign.
"He's sure." My dad says firmly. The doctor smiles.

"I'm happy for you Kyle. Now normally, there is a six month wait, however, Abraham managed to move you up the list. Not that there was a big list to begin with. So we should be able to fit you in just before Christmas. I'll fax Abraham all the information okay?" I nod and he smiles again. I smile back and we leave.

"We can stay this time. Abby only goes to her mother every second weekend." Abraham says and I nod. I walk into her office and sit down.

"Hi there Kyle, how have you been doing?", she asks.
Good. I sign.
"That's good! How is the mouthing the words coming? Are you finding that the muscles are being worked?" She asks.
Definitely. My mouth is killing me. I sign. She chuckles.
"That's to be expected. You haven't tried speaking yet have you?" She asks. I shake my head.
"Alright. We're going to try to get you to start saying basic words. Only things like I, the, your, etcetera. It will probably feel weird to start speaking again. Your throat will probably start hurting, almost like its itchy." She says and I nod.

By the end, my throat is raw and tears are in my eyes. It hurts. She gives me a glass of water, having to refill it three times before I'm done. I'm panting. Wow I hated that, but I needed it. Hearing my voice, even though it was raspy and unrecognizable. That was amazing.

"How are you feeling?" She asks softly. I'd been trying to talk for over half an hour. I stand up and hug her. She's frozen for a second before hugging me back. Her in her heels makes her just a little bit taller then me, and I rest my forehead on her shoulder.

Thank you. I sign to her. I'm done talking for today.
"Of course Kyle. You're a good kid. I'm glad Abraham and Abby have someone like you." She smiles. I smile back before leaving. I step back out and into the waiting room and Abby runs up to me.

How did it go? She signs to me. I smile down at her. She is a beautiful young girl, she really is. And she's so sweet. I'm glad she's my sister.
It went good, my throat kills though. I tell her. She giggles and nods.

Can we hang out today? We haven't in almost two weeks!
I'll ask dad. I sign. She nods.

I turn to Abraham. I raise my hands to sign, but he holds his up.
"Yes you can hang out with her." He chuckles.
"Want me to drop you guys off somewhere?" He asks.
I give him Taylor's address since we had originally planned to hang out again today. Just thinking about him had my heart racing.

"So do you plan on telling me when you and that boy, Taylor are going to get together?" My dad asks as we sit in the car. I feel my face heat up.
Not yet. I sign. Why didn't I just say no? Now it sounds like I like him.
But you do. A voice says in my head. I can't say the voice is wrong.

He drops us off and I lead Abby up.
He speaks sign, but its a little broken so bare with him. I sign to her. She nods at me, laughing a little. I knock on the door and Taylor opens the door. He grins when he sees me, then looks behind me at Abby.

"Oh hi! I'm Taylor." He introduces.
She's deaf. I sign to him. He blushes a bit.
"Oh."
Hi, I'm Taylor. He signs. She waves shyly.
I'm Abby, I'm Kyle's sister. She says. She's about the same height as I am, and we look exactly alike so I'm pretty sure he noticed.