Chapter 20 - Quilts

*Just for all y'all s information, I watched Thor: the Dark World over this last weekend. Loki broke my heart. It was terrible and amazing and I cried*

Rose 1st Person POV: Renaissance Era- 1502 AD. Florence, Italy

"Doctor!" I laughed. "Slow down, I'm gonna trip!" He was running, clutching my hand in his, pulling me behind him. Needless to say, he looked hilarious when he looked back at me. Mostly because he looked at me and tripped himself. We went down together, his hand still grasped in mine. I fell on him, and we laughed. 

It was fun, when we laughed. It happened a lot, same with the hugging, but it never felt less important or like it was getting old. Each bit of laughter and each embrace was amazing. I didn't think that it would ever change - that some day I might be alone, without laughter and comfort. I didn't cherish those seemingly insignificant moments as much as I should have. 

We sat up, ignoring the mutterings of people around us of "impropriety", and started moving again, this time walking. The landscape was beautiful. Cream and pastel orange coloured stucco buildings surrounded us, and the candles from red paper lanterns lit the stands and shops with a warm glow. When you looked down over the stone railings lining the cobblestone roads, there were hundreds of shades of blue in the water that circled inside the city, and the water parted white when the gondolas would slice through it slowly. The waterways were filled with small amounts of people, standing up in the gondolas and pushing the boats through the canals, selling oils and perfumes, or sight-seeing. The people wore robes of bright colours, the women with beautiful jewelry and veils, and the men with carefully crafted beards and bindings of colour. 

"That's an interesting hat he's got on, huh Doctor?" I stifled a laugh as I gestured to a man in front of us wearing a floppy silk hat. The Doctor looked to where my hand was pointing to and let out a laugh that he managed to turn into a poorly disguised cough. He cleared his throat.

"One of the finest hats that I have ever seen, Rose. It's marvel is unmatched." His voice was so sarcastic that anyone might've thought he was being serious, but I knew him well enough. I grinned widely, and we sprung our step, picked up our pace, and ran toward where the Doctor said Da Vinci's home was.

Upon reaching it, I was intrigued. Of course, I never thought I would be standing by Da Vinci's house; that alone was incredible. The thing that was amazing was the fact that it looked so ordinary. A small light pastel yellow two-story house with sky blue shutters, a red door, and a flower box on the windowpane that carried bright pink and orange carnations- so different from what I imagined. All the colours intermingled perfectly, not without compatibility, and it was rather like looking at a house version of a sunset. 

"It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant." I breathed in awe. 

"Isn't it?!" The Doctor bounced excitedly like a child at Christmas. 

"Oh yes!" I said, imitating his often occurring outburst, and he chuckled. 

"Want to go inside?" 

"Get on with it." I smirked, and he gave me his arm, which I accepted. Then he knocked on the door. Quite politely, I must have said, giving that he was the Doctor and was rude. Rude and not ginger, as he so often pointed out.

He bounced on the balls of his feet and I watched him for a moment until a young boy opened the door. He was a lanky young man of about fourteen, freckle-faced and blond. He had a purple robe on, and it brought out his bright green eyes. 

"Yes? How can I help you?" He asked, but we heard another disgruntled voice shout from inside.

"No solicitors. I'm busy. Tell them to go sell their waste somewhere else."