Chapter Six

By leaving Lawrence Manor early in the morning and returning late in the evening, Emily and Rosalind successfully avoided their aunt and cousin for three more days. Mr. Lawrence steadily improved, though he hadn't seemed to realize that he was at Waverly Place and Emily made the decision not to tell him. The doctor decreed at least five more days of rest necessary before moving him.

The calm was shattered when Mrs. Lawrence arrived at Waverly Place. When Jenson announced her, Emily and Rosalind exchanged horrified looks. It was after lunch and they were sitting in the Drawing Room with their host. "Show her in at once," Williams instructed. "Miss Lawrence, you should have told me to expect your aunt. I would have had tea prepared ahead of time."

"And I would have been elsewhere with Miss Emerson," Lord Evan said. "The gardens were looking especially fine this morning."

That interested Emily, but she forced herself to focus on the important point. "Oh, dear," she said. "I am sorry, Mr. Williams. I really am. I just want to apologize in advance, for anything my aunt might say?"

"I hardly think your aunt will say anything terribly offensive," Williams objected.

"You should reserve your opinion until you have actually had a chance to meet her," Rosalind told him quietly. "She is perfectly willing to rake us over the coals in front of strangers." She took a deep breath. "And that would really be the least she would do to us."

She had just finished speaking when Mrs. Lawrence strode into the room with Mr. Goldman right behind her. "Emily, Rosalind, I am ordering you to leave now," she said, without a word of greeting to Williams. "Do you hear me? I will not allow this insubordination a moment longer."

"Aunt Lawrence, Mr. Goldman, may I present Mr. Adrian Williams and Lord Evan Westwood," Emily said, gesturing to the two men who had risen from their seats. "Have you come to see my father?"

The haughty woman barely glanced at the pair and a disdainful expression appeared on her face, while Goldman offered the briefest of nods. "I am perfectly aware of their identities," Mrs. Lawrence said imperiously. "And what kind of deception were you hoping to achieve? You claimed to be coming to nurse your father, and I find you lounging around in idleness."

"Surely, ma'am, you cannot expect them to be confined to a sick room without having a moment of rest," Mr. Williams objected. "It would not be good for their own health."

Emily searched her mind, desperate to avoid the situation becoming worse than it already was. "Shall you take a turn about the gardens with me, Aunt?" she asked. "They really are quite lovely. and particularly fine today, as I was just informed. I think-."

"I will have my say, here and now, Emily!" Mrs. Lawrence interrupted her sharply. "What will the countryside be saying about the pair of you? Coming over daily to the residence of a bachelor!"

"Ma'am, I am confident everyone realizes how concerned Miss Lawrence is for her father's well being," Mr. Williams spoke up, stepping in between Mrs. Lawrence and Emily. "Every caution has been taken to satisfy propriety. There can be no slurs on either of these young ladies' reputations."

"Sir, this is between my nieces and myself," Mrs. Lawrence told him imperiously. "You and your friend may leave the room."

Appalled, Rosalind put a hand over her eyes. "Ma'am, I am not in the habit of allowing myself to be order about my own home," Mr. Williams informed her, his tone becoming stiff. "Miss Lawrence and Miss Emerson are guests in my house, and I must ask that you treat them with civility."

Mrs. Lawrence took a step back. "Sir, you are no gentleman!" she said sharply.

"Aunt Lawrence!" Emily exclaimed in horror. She rose from her seat. "Please, this has gone far enough."