The Girl Child

One night, in the smoky hut of Sketch the second wife of the great chief Odero Gogni of Yimbo, a baby was born. It was about thirty seasons before that great snaking metal road of jerochere, the white people, reached the bartering market of kisuma(Kisumu,Kenya). The baby yelled so lustily on its first gulp of acrid air, that the chief strolling around unconcernedly as befitted his station and manhood, thought with satisfaction, 'Another rock for my sling', by which he meant another son. actually he had already covered himself in considerable glory by siring seven sons. However, this time he was wrong because for the first time he was a father of a daughter. later he would say wisely, with something of a turnabout, that a home without a daughter is like a spring without s source; for it was his right as a great chief not only to lead but to utter wisdom as well, change of heart notwithstanding.

       This was the season when the leaves of the growing sorghum, now the height of a toddling child, trembled greenly in the wind and weeders were busy hoeing and chanting in unison a song about the prowess of some long departed hero. The child would  therefore  have been called Adoyo and indeed she was, but as was the custom some ancestor or other would send a dream to stake out his interest in the baby and therefore like so many others, the little girl ended up with more than one name.