Chapter 3

*Unedited*

Chapter 4

Jessica's eyes widen in shock. Then a sympathetic look appears on her face.

"No. Hey, Issy... Listen to me. You didn't kill anyone."

I shake my head, a strand of hair falls onto my tear stained face. Impatiently brushing it aside I look up at Jess.

"I killed him. If it wasn't for me he wouldn't be dead. So I killed him."

I hate the look of pity that's clearly written across Jessica's features. It makes me feel as if she's looking down on me, judging... But not understanding.

A fresh wave of guilt washes over me - what's happening to me? Jess is my best friend... Isn't the fact that she is here today, listening to me rather than enjoying herself proof enough?

Shaking my head slowly, I make eye contact with her again. I can see a mixture of pain, confusion and an overwhelming sense of sadness radiating from her eyes.

I stand up, deciding to get do something to distract myself. Jess stands up beside me, giving me a warm, yet sad smile.

"C'mon Is, let’s go do something fun!"

~Two hours later~

"Issy, which one?" Jess calls, beckoning me to her side. I oblige, feeling happier for the first time since... Well 'it' happened...

Suddenly two fingers snap in front of my face, I jolt back to the real world and stare at Jess blankly. Sighing deeply, she brandishes two dresses at me.

"Which one would look better?"

I decide to take my time to decide. I study the two dresses carefully, taking in every detail. The dress in her left hand is a small black number - tight, velvety material with a slight shimmer on it. It's revealing, and would make it look like I'm trying to hard if I wore it, but Jess can make any dress look good.

The other dress is equally short, yet it’s a vibrant red colour. It has a sweet-heart neckline, and is made of a shimmery material that sparkles under the light.

"Definitely the red one." I say, smiling at her. She looks at it sceptically before nodding her head.

“Aren’t you going to try it on?” I ask her, eyebrow raised.

“Nah, no point really... It’ll be fine!” Jess smiles at me.

I just shrug and return her smile, inwardly thinking how lucky she is to not have to worry about how she’ll look in a dress... If it were me I’d be over thinking it....

“Hey, Issy! Bet you that I can get that cute guys number!” She says whilst pointing subtly at the check-out worker.

I roll my eyes at her, and then nod my head.

“Go on then!” I challenge her, both of us knowing full well that she’ll easily get his number.

She walks up to the counter and gets out her wallet, handing over several notes to the young man fumbles around in his pocket until he pulls out a pen. I stifle a laugh as I see her shove her arm right under his nose and wait until he begins to write on it. She flashes him a dazzling smile before strutting back to me, her dress in a bag. I just shake my head at her, before she links arms with me and we exit the shop.

“Like taking candy from a baby!” She smirks at me.

“Are you actually planning on calling him?” I ask her, already predicting the answer.

“Maaaaybe... It depends on if there are any cute guys at this party tonight!”

I just smile at her, trying my best to forget all of the times that the three of us went to parties together... I’d successfully managed to quash all thoughts of... his death, up until this point.  But now they all came rushing back.