Chapter 8

It was awkwardly silent until the party. Juumonji was reading at his desk, Leo was listening to music while laying on his bed, and I was playing around with a 3D hologram system on my little tablet. Back home, I'm working on a AI that will help me get around better. I hardly leave the house, but it's nice to be able to get where I'm going when I do.

I'm just playing around to see what sort of options I have for it's body. Not that I typically stick to already discovered and created models, but I like to have a general idea at least. Going in blind usually ends up in me making something... too useful.

I take down notes in my notepad from time to time, but mostly I just make little diagrams or sketches. I think I'm going to make it similar in form to a monkey or a cat. Or maybe a human child? It's so hard to decide...

I kind of want something that will let me walk around as an animal yet still be able to go places like stores and markets without being harassed. Or maybe something to just keep me company. After all this, when the NSC finishes, I think I'm going to move back to the main estate and go into seclusion. I do enjoy certain company, but nobody should get close to me.

It tends to have unforeseen consequences.

I snap back to reality to realize my hand is shaking. No... My whole body is trembling, like I'm freezing. But I feel warm... Probably getting sick due to the elevation change. Little things like that can upset my immune system. I set my pen down, leaving my notebook open. My tablet has shut off and locked automatically due to lack of activity.

Looks like it's time to pay a little visit to my favorite sibling.

I get up, silently pushing in my chair and adjusting the pen so it's perfectly centered atop my notebook before grabbing my key-card and putting it in my pocket. My ID as a representative of First High and headphones compacted into a square box are already in my other jacket pocket.

"You leaving, Shiba-kun?"

I turn to see Leo watching me curiously. A magazine about recent releases of CAD models is in his hands, probably a freebie he got from the lobby. A quick check of the scents around me tell me he's confused and slightly worried. And the other person in the room is curious, but also wary. Yet it surprises me when I smell the same worry from him as Leo.

"I need to check with my brother on a couple of things. That's all. I'm not going too far."

"Oh...."

Juumonji finally speaks, so I turn to see him staring right at me. His voice and expression remain impassive, his eyes revealing nothing of his inner thoughts to me. It's a little... frightening, being unable to read someone.

"Do you know what room he's in?"

"No, but I can feel his presence on this same floor. The building's hallways aren't that hard to navigate."

Leo seems surprised at my words. Does he get lost that easily...? That would be problematic, especially since he said he likes to get up and walk around at night.

"You can feel him?"

Oh, that's what he's surprised about. I sometimes forget that there are people who's sixth sense is... minor, or only active during certain times.

"Mm... More or less. Anyone of notable strength in the building is automatically noticeable to me, though I can somewhat filter what I 'see'."

"That sounds pretty useful."

"It would be, if I actually needed it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sibling to see."

I leave at that, sighing once the door is closed behind me. Pushing away my wayward thoughts and opinions, I make my way slowly through the halls until I'm standing in front of what I can only assume is Brother's room. I can feel other people inside though. My sister, and a few of the girls assigned to him. I think Mikihiko is there as well.

Damn. I had wanted to speak to Brother alone.

Luckily for me, the whole group left a few minutes later. I remained hidden in the shadows, slipping into Brother's room just before the door closes completely. It didn't surprise me that he already seemed to know I had been waiting, considering his training with Master Kokonoe. Without a word, I ran up and hugged him. He placed a hand on my head in a comforting gesture.

"Minoru, is something wrong?"

I wait a minute, gathering my words before trying to express myself. It's always been the hardest thing for me to do, communicating my own thoughts.

"There are too many... Too many powerful people gathered here, to many unknown variables."

He knows I don't like when I cannot accurately measure the percentage of survival. Yet he cannot answer me, in a way that will make me feel better. For he cannot truly feel what I do.

My real brother left a long time ago.