After All This Time [part three]

The Survey Corps' Old Base - Two days after they've moved in

   After all that work Eren hadn't imagined they'd be getting a break. He didn't think anyone had. Yet there they were, lounging in the open backyard. Levi had told Petra they could take a few hours off, but then they were expected to be back to business afterward.

   "Eren!" Rio yelled as she spotted him from the back entrance. She ran forward, jumping onto the younger guys back.

   He stumbled ahead of himself, almost falling over. Rio laughed against his neck.

   "Isn't that dangerous?" Oluo looked on at them from the steps he resided on. He refused to change out of his uniform or join in on their leisure hours, yet he watched them creepily enough from the side.

   Rio turned her head, glaring at the man. She tightened her arms around Eren's neck a bit. He winced, but still held her steady. She commenced arguing with Oluo at that moment.

   Truth be told, Eren like Rio. She was full of energy all the time. Even all the insults Levi had slurred at her the past days didn't seem to effect her. Rio was all happy and pure it seemed.

   "Eren?" She asked from his back. The tip of her nose was pressed against his cheek. Quickly blood ran up to his face as he glanced around, seeing everyone looking at him.

   "What?" He asked just as Rio jumped down from his back.

   "Rio just insisted that you'd never hurt her. Your thoughts?" Oluo looked amused as he spoke.

   "Of course I... I wouldn't."

   "Not intentionally." Amane's voice rang out among them. All heads turned her way except Eldo, who was snoring softly from his place beneath a tree.

   She stepped forward. "Your intentions are pure Eren, but I haven't seen you actually become the Titan around Rio and I yet. Though I have seen your blonde friend tear you from the neck of your Titan."

   His fists clenched at his sides. For a while he stared down at his feet.

   "You guys have been sitting around long enough."

   Everyone turned to Levi then, even the previously asleep Eldo. He was leaning in the back entrance.

   Petra got up from where she sat, moving toward the door. Amane held her arm out in front of the other girl. Eren eyed her suspiciously.

   "We've been cleaning for two days. The base is spotless, everyone deserves to relax." She stepped up to Levi. "Even you."

   Levi glanced at the girl before him before letting out a huff. "Whatever." With that, he turned his back and began his way back inside, disappearing within the unlit corridors.

   "You're all welcome." Amane bowed before them, then she turned and jogged back into the base. Rio let out a laugh, grabbing Petra and tugging her back to the ground. Around Eren, the others went back to their previous activities.

###

   "Where did you go, short man?" Amane grumbled, closing another door.

   When she followed Levi in she expected him to go straight to the room he'd taken up. But instead he'd vanished. As soon as she couldn't hear his steps, he was gone.

   Why she had followed him she didn't really know. She just didn't want to be out there with the others, but she also didn't want to be alone. Something was pulling her to Levi and, begrudgingly, she was letting it do so. Just once.