Chapter 8

Claire's POV
I look at myself in the mirror, sighing at the sight of my bare face. I glance at my phone to check the time.

4:48 pm

Erick is supposed to pick me up for our "date" in an hour and 12 minutes. My heartbeat quickens at the thought. My mind is going 1000 miles per hour.

what do I wear?

What are we going to talk about?

he's going to think I'm awkward..

It's going to be my first and last date.

I stop myself from thinking and just inhale deeply. I exhale and grab my phone. I go through my messages to find Erick's name and I type a message.

Me: should I be wearing something specific tonight? Fancy or anything?

I set my phone down and barely five seconds went by and my phone dings.

Erick: casual mami;)

I slightly shake my head, trying to hold back a smile. He can't help himself, he's always flirting.

I make a mental list in my head of the things I need to do before 6 pm in order to be ready for this so called date.

- shower
- pick an outfit
- do my makeup and hair

I remember that I have about an hour now to get ready so I get in the shower. It's almost instant, as soon as I step in a shower, I begin to think about anything and everything. Today, it happens to be about the situation earlier today with my family.

Flashback

I skip down the stairs, Zabdiel trailing a few steps behind me. Mom was cooking breakfast.

"Hola mamá" I smile.

"Ready for school? After today, it's the weekend, I was thinking maybe we could go to the movies as a family. Deadpool comes out tonight! What do you guys say?" She suggests as I take a bite of my pancake and Zabdi is concentrated, drenching his stack with maple syrup, and when I say drenching, I mean there's a pool of syrup forming in his plate.

"That sounds like fun, but I need to ask you something." I take another bite of my breakfast.

She nods.

"So uhm, I got asked on a date a few days ago.." I begin and Zabdiel's eyes go wide and he puts down the maple syrup bottle on the table. I ignore him and resume to what I was saying.

"Anyways, it's tonight at 6. He'd come pick me up and drop me off so you don't have to wor-" she interrupts me.

"Don't have to worry?? Mi única hija va en una cita con un chico que no he conocido nunca y ni siquiera sé su nombre!" When she's mad or upset or surprised, she tends to just switch to Spanish.

"Cálmate mamá. Es solo un chico. He's one of the only friends I have. You'll meet him when he comes to pick me up, if you want." I offer.

"Oh course I want to meet him. No way a boy is taking you out on a date if I haven't met him yet." She mutters. Since its only my mom now, she kind of has to fill the shoes of the "over protective dad" role.