Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Zak's POV

"Hey guys." I said sitting down at the bar.

"Don't just 'Hey guys' us with out an explanation." Nick said.

"What? I'm not in trouble am I?" I joked. By the looks on their faces I could be. Oh lord.

"You're an hour and forty-five minutes late. Where the hell were you?" Aaron asked.

"Oh, I just stopped to welcome my new neighbor in the neighborhood. That's all." I said.

"Who is he? Do you think he'd be cool to hang out with?" Nick asked.

I just kinda laughed and took a drink of my beer.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

"Well, the he you've made up to hang out with is actually a she." I laughed. I took a drink of my beer and watched their faces as it set in. Boy was that funny.

"She?" Aaron asked.

"Yea... She's a professional bull rider, and she brought her two friends with her." I smiled to myself.

"Ohhh, sounds like little Zakky has a crush." Aaron said while hitting me in the ribs with his elbow.

"Two things," I said while putting my arm around Aaron's shoulders. "One, no I don't have a crush. Two, don't ever fucking call me that again." I said. Then I pushed him back into his chair and laughed.

Maybe I should get home. I have to drive and I'm already four beers in.

"Alright guys, I'm gonna get going. I gotta big day tomorrow." I said getting up.

"Alright. Well we'll see ya later bro." Nick said. With that, I left.

The ride home was quiet. Two fire trucks blew past me blarin their light and sirens. I didn't really think anything of it.. Until I pulled down my street and seen them all parked at Summer's house. My heart just sank.

I pulled in and realized that they were just pulled into Summer's place, but it was the house next door to hers. I ran over to the girls standing in front of the driveway.

"Are you the two girls that live here?" I asked pointing to Summer's house. They had been crying. They both nodded and the one with brown hair stuck her hand out.

"I'm Emily, and you are?" She said.

"Zak, and you are?" I shook hands with Emily and the blonde.

"I'm Leslie." She said.

"So where's Summer?" I asked.

Emily just pointed to the house. My heart sank once more. What was she doing in there? Was she trying to get acquainted with them?

A fireman came out of the house and took their mask off. They had their back to us when they walked to the fire truck and grabbed a water.

I walked over and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Could you tell me where Summer Smith is?" I wanted to make sure Summer was okay. When he turned around he took his helmet off and long brunette hair cascaded down around his shoulders. That's not a he, it's a she. When she was turned so I could see her face, I realized it was Summer.

"S-Summer?" I stuttered.

"Yeap. It's me." She smiled.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"What's it look like, I'm in rehab right now. Then when my team is called back, I'm going to go back in and battle the flames." She laughed.

"So you're a firefighter too?" I asked.

"Yeap. Volunteer." She said.

I didn't know what to think... That's like...really hot. Pull yourself together Zak.

"Is there anything else you do that I need to know about?" I joked.

"Well you'll just have to find out as we get to know each other I guess." She laughed.

"Well; now that I see you're alright, I'm gonna go back to Emily and Leslie." I said.

"Oh you met them?" She asked.

"Yes. They seem like really nice girls." I said.

"Smith! Get your gang together! You're goin back in!" The voice called out of her radio thingy.

"Well, that's me. I'll see ya tomorrow." She said.

"Alrighty." I said.

She started to walk away and put her helmet back on.

"Hey Summer!" I called out.

She turned around and clipped the chin strap on. "Yea?" She called back.

"Be careful in there!" I yelled.

"Always am." She laughed.

I turned and went back to the other two girls. They weren't there so I went over to their house. I knocked and Emily let me in.

"Hey, did you talk to her?" She asked.

"Yea, she's fine." I smiled.

I walked over and sat down on their couch. I turned the Tv onto Bizarre Foods, but didn't really watch it. I just sat there and thought about what I just learned about Summer, and how that made me feel. I must have feel asleep, because I woke up to Summer shaking me.

"Zak, do you want a blanket?" She asked. Her face had ash all over it and her hair was pulled up into a ponytail. She looked really sexy.

"No. I need to be heading home. What time is it?" I asked.

"2:47 AM. You can stay here if you want." She offered.

"Okay, yea I'll take a blanket." I said.

I fell back asleep, because I don't remember her putting the blanket over me. I just slept a dreamless sleep.