Chapter Five

The first two days she was up were good. Then the third day wasn't so good. Rosie was fine in the morning, but as the day went on, she wasn't looking to hot. I remember yesterday morning she was full of energy....

"Get up you lazy bums," Rosie's voice fills the house. "Ponyboy, you're goin' to be late for school. Darry, Sodapop, you're goin' to be late for work."

I sit up and stretch, I love being back in my bed with Soda beside me. Rosie's bed is too hard.

"Boys, breakfast is ready. Come on, let's go."

I walk out of the bedroom and into the kitchen.

"Hey Pony. Why aren't you dressed?"

"Too hungry, plus you're cookin' again and I missed you're cookin'" I say.

"Aww, thanks Pony," Rosie says as she kisses my head. "Now sit, breakfast is on the table. I'm makin' cake."

I sit at the table and start to eat the eggs and sausage. Then Darry and Soda come out and sit down next to me. The second Soda saw the eggs his face was in them. Darry was looking at Rosie as she was putting the cake in the oven. It took me a second to realize she was in her work uniform. (She works at the movie house. When she dropped out of school she needed to get a job to help with bills. The movie house wasn't her first choice but then she thought that since I spend so much time down there she'll make sure that I don't ever try to go home alone.)

"Rosie, why are you in your uniform?" Darry questions.

"Because, I need to get out of this house. And since Sodapop had to take off of work for the past about week, we need the money."

"Oh no little missy," Darry says. He always called Rosie 'little missy' when he wanted to get a point across. "you aren't goin' anywhere. You need to rest."

"No, I don't. I have done enough resting. I want to get out of this house. And that three minute walk with Two-Bit yesterday doesn't count because you yelled at us for two of them."

"Because you two weren't suppose to leave the house." Darry argues.

"I hate being trapped in this house. I'm going to work. And you can't stop me."

"Oh really?" I question. Then I jump up from my chair and plow Rosie to the floor. We both fall to the ground with a thump. I have her pinned down in seconds. "What were you saying? Because I'm pretty sure we can make you stay home."

"Pony, my side." Rosie complains.

"Sorry..." I say as I get off of her. "That's why you shouldn't go to work. What if your side gets to hurtin' too much and you pass out or something?"

"There are other people besides me workin', you know? And I just stand there and collect tickets and/or serve food. Nothing too demanding."

"No, I will not let you go. I don't care if people are going to be there or not. None of us are going to be there and we know what is wrong with you. I don't want something to happen to you and no one knowing what to do. End of discussion." Darry says sternly, as he stands up to go grab his shoes.

"I'm not staying in this house all day, I hope you know." Rosie says crossing her arms.

"You can come to the DX with Steve and me if you really want to get out of this house." Soda says out of the blue.

"Yes, let's have her work on cars when we want her to relax and take it easy." Darry says in a very sarcastic tone.

"No Darry, we will have her at the register, sitting down." Soda says likes it's obvious.