Chapter 14 Hands and Knees

Brian spun in midair as he fell, hoping his acrobatics display would somehow save him from his demise.  He landed on the ground with a thud and a loud crack. Brian yelled out in pain as he tried to move his arm.
"Broken.", Brian thought, "Just my luck."
He glanced up at the window where he had fled. A blade of pure diamond was slashing away at someone, only to be followed by a cannon.
Brian's instinct kicked in. He had to find a safe place for his arm to heal, or at least to get away from whoever was up there. Crawling on his stomach, he struggled to move very far without crying out in pain. An arrow whizzed by his head, Brian ducking at just the right time. As Brian glanced back, he saw Lewis with his sword ready, and Simon with a bow and arrow at the window sill, taking aim once more. Brian crawled faster as he could toward the forest, now just trying to get out of their sight. Brian was just behind a tree when an arrow hit where he just was. Brian was now crying, from pain and from the thought that he knew death was coming. He continued crawling, him gritting his teeth and biting his cheek. He crawled another few feet before a figure appeared out of the shadows of the forest.
"Please!", Brian begged, "Please... don't!"
As the figure drew closer Brian realized it was Minty, her looking as cross as ever.
"Apologize.", She stuttered, "And I just might help you."
Brian looked at her.  She was clearly unarmed and her voice sounded scared.  Brian didn't know what he was supposed to apologize for, but he did apologized anyway. 
With now a small smile spreading across her face, she bent down and tried to lift him up.  She failed, letting him fall to the ground.
"Um...", she said quietly, "There's only one option to get you moving."
She picked up Martyn's sword and held it by the hilt.  Before he could react, she hit him in the head with the hilt, him falling into unconsciousness.