Chapter Three- Heavy Fog

"I can't remember his face. He looked normal. All I remember is the blood and the pain in my heart and the pain in my head, I don't remember his face.

What happened. Tell us slowly. What did they look like.

" I can't remember anything but the pain. The pain in my heart and the pain in my head. He looked normal. I can't remember his face."

What happened.Tell us slowly. What did they look like.

It had been only a matter of hours since I cradled my best friends limp body in my arms, feeling the eerily warm sensation of her blood pouring through my fingers. I couldn't talk to the officers questioning me over and over again, I didn't have anything left in me. However, I did at that point, remember exactly what had happened. I remembered every detail of her face as I watched her, felt her slip away from me, clumsily tearing fabric from her clothes to hold against the gaping hole in her neck. The way I had screamed at the people surrounding us, too frightened to move or help or make a single sound. Already feeling the stinging regret that I hadn't shut my mouth long enough to hear the man walking up behind me, I attempted to gather my thoughts and swallow the dry pebble lodged in my throat.

Maybe if I had kept quiet I could have heard him, seen him, begged him for mercy for my dying friend, looked him in the eye and pleaded for my own life at least. Maybe he was feeling kind and that is why I left the scene with nothing more than a migraine and the dark cloud of Kate's death looming over me. Regardless, he had dragged me to my feet by my hair and held me close with one arm, whilst the other held out a solid metal mass in front of the two of us, clearing a path to the stage. I was thrown into the arms of another man who smelled like old cigarette buds and stale beer, I was a wreck. I could smell blood, sweat and tears constantly as I balled my eyes out, falling to the floor. A warm arm wrapped around me and pulled me to my feet again. I could barely see the crowds of distressed men and women, who had no idea what they were witnessing.

"Testing, testing 1,2,3. Is this thing on?" A sarcastic voice boomed out of the speakers, the man's tone ricocheted off the high columns

"We won't keep you long folks ......... associates and..... cleared your donations.....orderly line.... over to the......the girl.....your responsibility.....snap her neck...... thank you for your time." I still could not remember exactly what he had said but I knew that there was a price for keeping me alive.

In all honesty, I could not remember anything past the leaders demands, other than the soothing voice in my ear. The same voice from the man who had helped me to my feet and kept me steady as my life was threatened.

"I'm so sorry, angel"

And that was it. All the information I had from that night and all I could focus on was the fact that I wasn't going to see Kate any more. She'd never text me after a wild night with a stranger, just to give me all the uncomfortable details. I'd never hold her hand again, just because I could. She wouldn't be my head bridesmaid. She wouldn't be an aunt to my children. The next time I would see her would be at her funeral for the very last time.

What happened.Tell us slowly. What did they look like. The police hounded me again. I was certain they had forgotten that I was lying in a hospital bed with my brain thumping so hard I could barely speak. At least I was still alive. Unlike Kate. Eventually, as more tears fell from my face, the police gathered their notes, thanked me, apologised and left me alone. A nurse informed me it was strongly recommended that I remained in the hospital over night, just to make sure I didn't have a brain damage from being so forcefully knocked out. I was fine, of course. The next morning I pulled my dress back on, still stained red and left the hospital with uttering less than ten words.

I threw the front door to my apartment open and felt my heart leap as I saw Josie curled up on my couch, surrounded by what seemed like a thousand used tissues and 3 blankets wrapped around her. She must have come back here to wait for me. Wait for me to come home and tell her what had happened. To be fair, I had no idea what had happened to Josie, I didn't remember seeing her after... After everything had started. I breathed a guilty sigh of relief that my friend was alive, unharmed and asleep in my flat. Quietly I had moved to my bedroom and torn off my dress, throwing it in the nearest bin. No amount of dry cleaning could erase the memory of last night. Slowly and shakily I had put on my warmest pyjamas, scraped my hair up into a bun and shuffled back to the living room. Feeling a sudden rush of gratitude, I ran over and threw myself on top of Josie, scaring the life out of her momentarily before she erupted into a fit of tears, questions and frantic grasping for reassuring affection.

I spent that day calling friends of Kate, her siblings and her parents and either delivering the horrid news or sharing pathetic condolences in an attempt to rectify the event in any way. Josie held me tight whenever she could but we sat in silence, I couldn't talk. I wouldn't see any of my closest friends for 2 months, when Kate's body was finally released from the police and I received a call from her mother, giving me a place and time to say my final goodbyes. The local church, the one we had sang in for the junior choir, 11 am. Looking back, I can't say that I would change the day I finally left my flat. If I hadn't of needed food and fresh air, I wouldn't be in the mess I am today.

AN- HELLO! Well hello to my tiny group of readers. If there is anything missing or anything you'd like to see, let me know! Don't forget to vote and maybe leave a little comment. Thank you for reading it means a lot! See you next chapter.