Chapter One

Jared burst into the house, eyes frantic and hands shaking. 

"Sara? Sara! Are you in here?" He yelled, skipping up the stairs and calling down each hallway. He heard her in the bedroom to his left and he threw the door open. 

"Sara, thank the fates, you're alive. Where's James? I haven't been able to contact him in over a week! What could he possibly ... be doing ... ?" Jared watched her still on her rocking chair. She beamed up at him. Only then did he notice what she was holding in her arms. A small bundle of fabric hid most of the infant child that slept in her mother's embrace, but Jared could see a dash of hair and a button nose. 

"So sorry, Jared. We've just been a little bit busy, " Sara laughed quietly. She was holding her baby tightly. "Her name is Mina. Wilhelmina Grimm. After her ancestors." Jared felt his knees give way and he slid to the floor. 

"How could you do this to her? Bring a child into the battle between human and fae? She's so small ... " Jared gazed at the tiny thing with anguish. There was no way he could protect her from all of the evil in the world. Saving James' butt often stretched the limits of Jared's power. Sara shook her head and kissed Mina. 

"She's strong, Jared. I can feel it. James can too, I'm sure you do also. She will be the one to break this curse. I know it." 

Jared shuffled towards Sara and the baby, bowing his head. As he approached her, Mina's large eyes opened, revealing the most beautiful brown eyes he had ever seen. She smiled up at him with a gummy mouth. 

"I will protect her, Sara. I promise you."

••••••••••

"Jawde! Jawe!" Mina cried with joy when Jared walked over.

"Hey, kid! How's it going?" He lifted her up and twirled her around. Mina squealed with joy and hugged him tightly.

"Me and Daddy went to the pawk!" Mina exclaimed. Her vocabulary was coming along quite well, but she was really struggling with "r". Jared set her back down on the ground and her attention was instantly caught by something else. She ran off across the yard to go look at whatever it was. 

James walked over to Jared and clasped his shoulder, but his eyes strayed to Mina. 

"So, what's the news?" James asked solemnly, knowing  there had to be something important going on if his grimoire was here.

"I can't seem to find him anywhere. It's like Flyn just... Disappeared." Jared sat down next to James on the grass and Mina ran inside.

"Do you think he'll come for her?" James whispered, jutting his chin out to the house, where Mina had just disappeared into.

"It's hard to say. The story's already tried using her in Hansel and Gretel, so she could be involved with this too. But I'll keep her safe, don't worry about it." Jared set his jaw and determination blazed in his gray eyes.

"That's good. Jared?" 

Jared glanced up at him. The vulnerability in James' voice made him nervous.

James looked down at his lap. "When I... When I'm gone-"

"We are not having this conversation right now, James," Jared growled.

"When I'm gone, I need you to look after them. I know you already love Mina, so I trust you with her. When the quests go to her - " James' voice cracked and Jared interrupted.

"You'll be fine, James. Mina will be safe and she'll be happy.  I won't let it get her." Jared put on a smile as Mina came skipping out of the house in a blue tutu and tiara.

"I'm a pwincess!" Mina twirled around and curtsied. Jared bowed and held out his hand.

"My dear princess, will you dance with me?"
Mina nodded and took his hand. Jared picked her up and danced around with her and James smiling from where he was sitting.

••••••••

"Jared! Put me down!" Mina hit his back with her fists.

"Nope, sorry kid. We've got to get you home." Jared huffed as he carried the nine year old on his back. Jared was sprinting as hard as he could. James had run into a quest that was looking dangerous and had ordered Jared to get Mina home, fast. Jared seemed to be choosing between Grimms. It was becoming obvious to him and probably to James that only one of them could survive the curse. Jared couldn't protect both of them at the same time. 

"Jared, take me back to Daddy!" Mina screamed and pounded his back some more.

"I'm telling you, kid. If you do that one more time, I'll make you shut up."

Mina stayed quiet for a little longer before whispering, "He's fighting again, isn't he? He said he uses his magic book and you use your magic powers. Are you a super hero, Jared? Can you fly?" Mina stared at him in awe and shot questions at him. As much as he wished he could tell her, Jared couldn't. So he put on his stony mask and glared at her.

"Wilhelmina, I'm not telling you anything. You need to be quiet." Jared rearranged her on his shoulder and continued huffing. Mina instantly became quiet again. He never said her name unless he was angry... But what did she do wrong?