Chapter Fourteen: New Years

°Sky°
"Wake up!" I hear Ross yell. "In a couple of hours it will be the new year!"
"At five in the morning?!"'I hear Jin yell back.
"New Years starts early!" Ross yells. Me and Alesa both sit up and look at each other with the same Ross is crazy look.
"Five in the morning, Ross!" Jin yells at him.
"Yeah!" Ross replies.
"Just wake up already!" Ross yells.
"Ross, what are you doing?!" Barney asks.
"It's New Years Eve." Ross replies.
"It's five in the morning!" Barney yells.
"That's exactly what I said!" Jin replies.
"Ross, go to sleep!" Barney says.
"Fine, but a nine you all better be awake." Ross says.
"Thanks Barney!" Alesa yells.
"No problem." Barney yells to her.
We both go back to sleep. I know Ross isn't gonna sleep tough.
"Everyone wake-" Ross begins to say.
"We're up!" Jin and Barney both say.
"Don't start, Ross." I say.
"We're awake." Alesa says.
We all run down the many stairs to begin our day. As usual, I stay near Alesa at all times. There's no particular reason for it today... She's just fun to hang around.
"He Adam, could I talk to you for a second?" Jin asks. Oh gosh... Jin always knows things... What is he gonna tell me? Please don't know something I don't...
"Sure." I say as I walk to the other room with Jin.
"So, you gonna pop the question today?" Jin asks.
"I mean... I guess..." I say. "I just-"
"It's the perfect time since its New Years!" Jin says.
"Well-" Jin interrupts me again.
"You should ask at midnight." Jin says. "It'll be so romantic. There's no way she could say no."
"You think so?" I ask.
"I know so." Jin says. I smile at him.
"Thanks Jin." I say. Jin sniffs.
"Hold on..." He says. "Is that smoke... Wait... Ross is cooking! Ross, don't you even dare touch the pancakes!"  Jin says as we both run out.
"Too late." Ross says. I start laughing. Jin looks so mad at him. He messed up the food!
"Hey." Alesa says. "What's up?"
"Oh, nothing." I say. "How about you?"
"Just hanging around with my most favorite guy in the world." She says smiling.
"I wonder who that could be..." I say smiling back at her.
"It's you, silly!" She says pushing me. I look at her for a second.
"Gosh, you're so cute." I say. She blushes so I smile at her. She's just adorable. I honestly don't know what it is that makes her so cute.
"Do you think anything about us will change this year, Adam?" She asks.
"What do you mean?" I say starting to get nervous.
"Like relationship wise." She says.
"I fall even more in love with you?" I say.
"No..." She says. "Stuff like commitments... You know, promise rings, marriage, junk like that."
She's onto me.
"Yeah, but that is kinda silt to think about this early on." She says. "I've only known you for a little more than a month."
"Yeah... Silly..." I say.
"Yeah." She says.
"Hey, I'll be right back." I say.
"Sure!" She says.  I walk over to Jin.
"Hey, come here." I say.
"In a second, I'm-" I grab him and walk him to the other room. "And I have no choice. What up?"
"Alesa was saying that getting married was silly this early on." I say. "I just shouldn't propose..."
"You love her though." Jin says. "And plus, you already bought the ring."
"I know, but-" Jin stops me.
"Adam, you're making the right choice by proposing tonight." Jin says.
"I'm just not sure..." I say.
"It's gonna be perfect." Jin says. "And I know for a fact that she's gonna say yes... She loves you for you."
Later on that day, I start getting nervous. Every time I see her, I think about her saying no. It would be so awkward...
Right now, I'm kinda just sitting there silently and Alesa is too.
"You excited for the party?" She says as she breaks the silence.
"Huh?" I say as I get pulled out of my thoughts. "Oh! That."
"Yeah." She says. "I was gonna go and get some more stuff ready for it."
"You can do that." I say. "I'll just be over here thinking... You know... Like when stuff should happen... And stuff... I'll talk to you once you're done."
"Alright!" She says. "I'll see ya!"
"Bye." I say. Oh, come on! Why am I so nervous? I love her, and it's just a simple question... It's not that difficult, you can do this Adam.
At the party, I get more tense as every second passes...
I look at the time and it's almost midnight. I walk away from Alesa, and I try and find the guys...
"Opar!" Barney says as he sees me. "Look, it's Adam!"
"Yep." I say.
"So, you gonna propose?" Barney asks.
"At midnight." I say. "It'll be more romantic."
"Well, there are only five minutes left until midnight." Barney says. "You better get ready." I look up to the time to make sure... And yes... Five minutes.
"Okay..." I say. I start getting even more nervous.
"You ready?" Jin asks.
"Well, I have to be..." I say. "I don't know what she's gonna say..."
"You'll be fine." Jin says. "Just say that you have to talk to her."
"Wish me luck guys." I say.
"You don't need it!" Jin says. "She loves you too much!"
"Adam, look!" Ross whispers to me as he points to the clock. Two minutes.
"Only two?!" I say. "I-I have so many butterflies in my stomach right now. I don't know what she's gonna say! What if she says no? That'll be awkward... Which could result in a break up... In which I'll be crushed... She means everything to me! I'll be broken if this doesn't work out! What if I become depressed?! I can't do that again! I... I just-"
"Whoa whoa whoa!" Jin says. "Adam, you're overthinking this. You love her, and that's all that matters. You'll be perfectly fine."
"Okay." I say. "I'm gonna do it!"
"Go get her!" Jin says smiling.
"Good luck!" Barney says.
"You got this!" Ross says holding up a thumbs up.
"Oh boy... Here it goes." I walk outside which is where Alesa is hanging out. "Alesa, can you come with me for a second?"
"Sure!" Alesa says. She runs over to me. "Hey, what's up?"
"Alesa, ever since you stepped foot on this base, I knew you were different." I say. "But a good different. The best different. A different that could break me out of my shell. A different that could save me from myself. A different that cared for me. That quality is what I love the most about you, Alesa." She starts to smile and blush and I start to smile too. "You're kind, beautiful, patient, and smart. I can't even put into words how much I love you. You've changed me into the person that I am today. You saw good deep down in me that no one else could ever find. I told you all about my troubles, and you didn't leave me like everyone else. You really care about how I feel everyday... And sometimes, you're even in danger for loving me like that. You. You are the person I want by my side no matter what it is that life throws at me. I know that I love you with all my heart, and I want you to be mine forever." She has tears in her eyes as I finish saying it. "So, what in trying to say is," I get down on one knee and hold Alesa's hand. She starts to cry more. "Would you do me the honor and... Marry me?" She gasps when I say that and covers her hand over her mouth. She cries even more.
"Yes!" She says through her tears of joy. "Yes, Adam! Yes! Yes! Yes! I will marry you!" I place the ring on her finger, and as soon as I stand back up she jumps into my arms, and I hug her and we spin around while hugging. She said yes! I have this crazy overwhelming happy feeling now. I start to tear up to. This is the best thing that ever happened to me.
We stop spinning and we look at each other. We're both smiling like crazy, and were both crying. It's just the best...
After a second of just looking at each other, Alesa leans in and kisses me.
After we pull out of that kiss, we look around to see everyone in the party looking at us.
"She said yes!" I say to all the recruits. "Looks like we have another leader around here now!"
All the recruits start to applaud and congratulate us.
The guys walk closer to where we are and look at us.
"Woo!" Ross cheers. "That's my Adam! You guys are so cute together!"
"Looks like the dirt is finally completely happy." Barney says.
"I knew he could do it." Jin says. I smile at them, and look back to Alesa.
"Adam, I love you so much." She says.
"I love you to." I say.
"No Adam, I love you so much it can't be put into words..." Alesa says. "I don't know what I'd do without you."
"I don't know what life would be like without you." I say. "No one could ever replace you. I want you to know that."
"I want you to know I won't leave you like any other jerk would." Alesa says. "I'll always be there... As your wife."
"And I'll always be there to," I say. "As your husband."
"It feels good to say that, Adam." Alesa says.
"It feels good to say that I'm going to be the husband of this beautiful girl." I say. Alesa blushes.
"Whoa!" Ross says. "The wedding! We gotta help!"
"I call best man!" Jin says.
"No fair!" Barney says.
"Where's my say in this?" Ross says as he takes a bite out of a slice of cake.
"Shut up, Ross." Jin says.
"Oh, you wanna go?!" Ross says. "Fight me be the best man! It's on, right now!"
"Ross, there is chocolate cake in your face, I can't take you seriously." Jin says.
"Dang it!" Ross says. "Hold on!" He runs inside as fast as he can to get that cake off his face. Alesa starts to laugh.
"Looks like we have the wedding all figured out!" Alesa says.
°Jin°
Barney and I walk further away and wait for Ross. We stand there, and we watch our friend be happy.
"I'm just so happy right now!" Adam says happily.
"You?" Alesa says happily to. "I'm really happy!" Adam picks her up and start to spin around.
"We're getting married!" He says with excitement as Alesa giggles.
"They look so happy." I say.
"Yeah, they do." Barney says. "It feels so good to see Adam this happy again."
"He really loves her." I say as I watch them kiss again.
"She really saved him." Barney says.
"I'm glad she came before Adam could do anything crazy." I say. "I swear, Adam was about a week away from losing it."
"I know right!" Barney says. "Jin, do you think that there might be a kid in the near future... I mean, the way that-"
"Shh." I say. "I already stressed him out about that to the point where I had to stop him before he hurt Alesa."
"What?" Barney says. "Adam became Sky?"
"Yeah." I say. "And it was my fault. Because I brought up what I noticed Christmas Eve."
"So, you think that-" I stop Banrey.
"You know what?" I say.
"What?" Barney asks.
"Kid or no kid, I'm just happy that they're happy." I say.
"Me too." Barney says.
I look at Adam and Alesa just staring at each other happily. In so happy that they're this happy. But wow... This life could go downhill real soon if what I saw was right.