chapter 3 ⚔ Lone Gunmen

Oliver was targeting another man by the name of James Holder, whose corporation put defective smoke detectors in low-income housing in the Glades. 

There had been many fires and too many funerals.

A shooter had killed James Holder, and shot Oliver.

In the lair, I was patching him up. "Did you get a look at the shooter?"

"No," Oliver answered. "Too far and too fast. But it's no surprise a man as corrupt as James Holder has more than one enemy."

Oliver tried to stand, nearly falling over.

I stood, catching him before he fell. "What's wrong?"

"The bullet," Oliver answered. "Poison."

Oliver nearly fell again.

I put him back into his chair, instantly walking toward the wooden suitcase, opening it, pulling out herbs and water from inside, walking toward Oliver, holding them out to him. "Eat and drink. Now."

Oliver ate the herbs, washing them down with water.

It was a cure that I had found on the island.

Oliver had had to go to the mansion because Thea had gotten herself into trouble, coming back.

I was testing out the poison from the shooting. "The bullets were laced with Curare, a rare and deadly poison, the killer's unique MO." I pulled up the information on the computer. "He's kill all over the world. Chicago, Markovia, Corto Maltese. Interpol even has a code name for him. Deadshot."

"I was prepared to give James Holder a chance to right his wrongs, but this Deadshot has no morality," Oliver told me. "No honor. No code. He doesn't kill for justice, which makes him as dangerous as anyone on my list."

"It puts him right at the top," I told him.

Oliver nodded.

Oliver led Tommy and John into the top floor of the warehouse we used for the lair. "So, what do you think? A nice place for a night club or what?"

"Sweet," Tommy told him. "Though, I got to tell you, man, if you're thinking about calling it Queens, I don't think you're gonna get the clientele that you were hoping for."

Oliver pointed to a room. "Private office."

"For the private one-on-one meetings, I would imagine," Tommy told him.

"Hopefully for the occasional two-on-one meetings," Oliver told him.

Tommy laughed. "Man, are you sure you want to do this? It's not like you have any experience in running a club."

"No, but Jill does," Oliver told him.

I walked closer.

Tommy looked at me in surprise. "Really?"

"Believe it or not, I used to work at one, in LA," I told them. "And if I'm gonna get back on my feet and out of the house of Queens, I need a job."

"Jill, you know there's no hurry," Oliver told me. "You're welcome to stay as long as you want."

"I know," I told him. "I just want a head start."

Tommy nodded, impressed. "How about tomorrow night, we go and scope out the competition? There's a new club opening downtown. It's called poison. Max Fuller owns it."