Chapter 2

The desolation was unfathomable.

Cold, black ground replaced the once green earth that was dotted with pine trees. What was strange is that there was no smell. The air was almost stale for not even a slight breeze graced over the darkness. This had to be a dream, a horribly wicked dream that I so much wanted to wake from.

There was no birds in the sky, no herd of deer.

The land and all that inhabited it were gone.

Conpo's fertile and densely forested land was not only scorched black, but there was no way the earth would ever be cultivated again.

It was only us that rode out. I entrusted General McCormick to strengthen the watch on our borders, especially with Fraus. The walled country was quieter than usual, and it unnerved me to the core. Ever since the argument two years ago with my aunt, Fraus has kept to itself. Francis, when he still replied to my letters, reaffirmed my suspicions of the kingdom's status after Frausian diplomats did not show for a meeting with him.

To be honest, Francis is the least of my concerns. It has been like that for seven months or so, ever since I no longer received any letters from him. The Torvan ambassador still remains, Lord Halston, at court, but whenever I questioned him about Francis, he would always tell me he was receiving news from his ministers and never directly from the king. Either he's telling the truth or there is a far larger matter that remains unknown to me.

"My Lord Halston!" I called out. The man was in conversation with another court member as he turned his head towards me.

     "Your Majesty." Halston gave me a quick bow and the man he was talking to was walking off. 

     "I apologize for interrupting your conversation but the matter I have to discuss with you concerns both of our countries." Halston instantly tensed up, as if nervous of what I had to say.

     "There is a bill that has been passed by my Parliament requesting that Torvan ships give a full manifest of the items they are carrying to the harbor master. But you see, there is a problem," I said, looking Halston dead in the eye.

     "Oh?"

     Oh? That is all I get from you?

     "King Francis knows nothing about the bill. I have had to make all the decision making by myself, with keeping the best interests of Torva in mind, of course. Your king has not replied to my letters concerning our alliance for the past three months. Lord Halston you have assured me for the past three months that King Francis had pressing matters concerning Torva. I am curious, though. Your king has been able to send you information, but not me. You and I are both in the same place."

     There was already perspiration gathering on his forehead. If I had looked at him with my eyebrows raised and eyes boring into his, I would have an unconscious man at my feet. Suddenly, he gathered himself together and told me in an almost convincing voice:

     "It is his close advisors and ministers who inform me, not the King directly. I promise your majesty that I shall deliver this information swiftly to King Francis's attention."

     "Very well," I replied curtly. "I bid you good day, Lord Halston." I did not wait for a reply or a bow as I turned on my heel and walked briskly to my office.

     There was no use to write a letter to Francis. It was pointless, just as this alliance seemed to be now.

     It was from that moment Francis began to fade from my mind. His face, his voice, and the way he walked. Even that damn smile of his. It all died away.