Chapter Fourteen: The Previous and The Next

Adrien's POV:

After purchasing a few roses as Cat Noir, I head towards the cemetery.

I had snuck away from home again from another demanding schedule. Which was weird, since I thought Dad would let me take a break.

Today was the day Mom died.

The freak accident happened in England during her vacation. I never got the exact details. She left behind a heart-broken son, and part of her husband had died that day. Dad was there when it happened. Nathalie was the one who delivered the news monotonously.

I was about to approach Mom's grave, when I noticed a family was already there, paying their respects.

The woman had long dark hair adorned by a headband. Her body shakes with sobs. Her husband, a man with grim blue eyes, comforts her. Their child gently places a bouquet of daffodils on the plaque in the ground. After, she goes exploring, and chases after a dragonfly.

The adults look familiar, like from an old photograph. I decided to observe from a tree.

"Hush now darling," soothed the man.

"No Felix, it's my fault," murmurs the woman. Her husband hugs her tighter.

"How many times do I have to tell you? There was nothing we could do about it, Bridgette."

"No," Bridgette states. "I could have saved her. I should have known. I was her best friend, but I was clueless about the fact that it had took control of her!"

She juts her head up, her eyes wet with tears. "I could have saved her from falling off the tower!" she screams.

Felix frowns. "Not in front of Diana, please."

Bridgette seems to regain some of her composure. She looks at her daughter, who stands still. After a few seconds, the girl resumes playing.

Meanwhile, I freeze. What tower? I move closer to the couple, and accidentally step on a twig. It snaps.

The two freeze. Diana runs back to her parents.

"Whoever is there, come out now," growls Felix, stepping forward in front of his family. "I'm kind of rusty, but I'm still able to kick butt."

Without any other options, I come out of my hiding spot. I hear a gasp from the woman.

"You're the new Cat Noir," Felix says.

I nod. "And what were you to my moth- this woman?"

They stay silent. More tears spill out of the Bridgette's dark blue eyes.

She falls on her knees, and covers her mouth. Felix tries to sooth her, but she only shakes her head.

"You're...her kid, aren't you? Are you Adrien?" she asks.

I try to keep my voice steady. "Yes, I am the boy you speak of," I confirm.

She gulps. Felix relaxes, but he still keeps his eyes on me. They focus on my costume. "It suits you," he mutters, earning a glare from his wife.

I approach them slowly. "That still doesn't answer my question. What were you to my mother?"

"All of that will be explained when we have our meeting," the light-blond man replies.

"Why not now? And what meeting?" I demand.

Felix grunts. "So the old man hasn't notified you yet? Figures he would, he is always procrastinating..."

"Felix," Bridgette warns.

"Oh please, what important business do you think he has in Hawaii?"

"Master Fu has his reasons, which he'll explain once he gets here."