Chapter 55 - Caleb Singleton

Kara thought her life turned for the better. She got a very loving husband, a nice house to live in and her grandpa had stopped bugging her about the company.

Her life was perfect.

It was too perfect that she had to walk with three bodyguards tailing her like lost puppies.

She sighed heavily as she pushed her trolley along the supermarket aisles. They were walking behind her followed by glares from other customers. Some of them even took a selfie from afar either thinking that she was a celebrity or a freak.

She should stay at home. Now she regretted her decision to sneak out from her husband's order.

Stefan had warned her for a thousand times not to go out if it wasn't necessary till the person who wanted to kill her got caught.

So far the police and Tim hadn't made any progress. Stefan only let her going out for work. No date night, no shopping, no lunch out and Kara was bored to the core and today she had decided to visit the closest supermarket to do some shopping. She wanted to cook her husband the new recipe that she found in the internet and she couldn't wait to get home.

She walked briskly toward the parking lot. It was one in the afternoon and the sun was pretty harsh to begin with. But a smile finally was on her lips as she got away from the people that watching her every single move. Suddenly the world looked so much better. And now she wasn't actually mind being tailed by three bodyguards, they had helped her carrying her grocery bags. She stole a glance toward OJ, the youngest and the funniest looking among three. He was nervous.

Well, he always seemed to be nervous. His eyes never stop moving. Kara knew it eventhough right now he wore his sunglasses.

"OJ, are you alright?" she asked, thinking of taking them to the ice cream shop on the way home to reward them over their good behaviour.

She giggled a little.

"I am fine." OJ answered shortly.

Kara shrugged, "relax OJ," she said, wiping the sweat off her temple with the back of her hand before reaching for the car key from her purse.

It all happened in a blink of an eye....

She didn't hear the squeaky noise behind her. All she heard was someone yelling and before she knew what was going on, she was being pushed to the side of the driveway.....

***

Stefan thought everything went according to plan. That their life was back to normal, a happy normal life where he got to love his wife and enjoy their life together till the day he died, but he was wrong. One phone call from the hospital almost sent his soul away from his body.

Why did his wife have to be that stubborn?

Stefan wanted to yell at her but seeing her sitting on the hospital bed with bandage around her head stopped him for doing so. She was paled and traces of tears were on her cheeks. Her face lightened up when she saw her husband came running toward her.

"Baby...." He rushed to her side and carefully hugged her, "are you okay? What happened?"

"I am fine Stefan, just mild concussion and some bruises... but OJ wasn't so lucky. He's in the surgery room right now." Kara hugged him back. "Someone was trying to hit me with his car and OJ pushed me away....."

"Oh god...." His face went pale. He had ordered Tim to keep an eye on Evita just in case she made some moves but she had been quiet and suddenly another attack had happened.

Stefan cursed himself for not confronting Evita weeks ago when he visited Joseph and he promised he would do so as soon as Kara was fine.

"I hope OJ is fine" Kara's voice brought him back to the present time. "That kid saved my life....." Tears run down her cheeks. She was more worry about her bodyguard than herself.