A Broken Lie

Niall stared at the ground as he and Harry made their way up the mountain. They hadn't reached any open areas yet, but he was hopeful.

Although at this point, he was wondering if those things were still following them or not. If what the fan he'd gotten the e-mail from was right, those cannibals should have caught them by now.

He stopped suddenly, his head coming up as a sound ahead of them caught his attention. He threw his arm out, hitting Harry in the chest and effectively stopping him.

"Did you hear that?" he asked.

Harry pushed his arm down, breathing heavily. Niall's breathing was labored as well, but if they didn't keep moving, they had higher chances of dying. "Hear what?"

"I'll take that as a no." Niall waved at a gathering of tree roots. "Have a seat. Rest for a minute. We'll keep going afterward."

Harry collapsed to the rock without a word of protest. He was exhausted, but he didn't want to complain. Niall had told him those things - the twins, their fan had called them aparently - could hear very well, and sounds would draw their attention.

Since they had seen the hole those things had put in the plane without making a noise, and having experienced how quiet they were, Harry found himself in no rush to meet them anytime soon. He looked up at Niall, who was catching his breath as well. "Did we lose them?"

Niall shook his head. "No, I'm sure they're right behind us, but they're not attacking. Well, that's what I'm assuming, anyway. Otherwise, I would guess that yea, we lost them."

"How long have we been moving? And do you think the others made it?"

"If I had to guess? Yea, I would think they made it. Not sure, like I said, I'm only guessing."

Harry nodded and looked around the trees. "How do you know which way we're going?"

The look Niall gave him wasn't comforting, nor were his words. "I don't."

"Then how do you know we haven't passed the clearing? Or aren't heading the wrong direction all together?"

"Again, I don't. I'm only guessing, and I don't feel like climbing a tree to find out. We're up there when those things arrive, and we're stuck. They climb fast."

Harry agreed. "So now what? We keep moving?"

"We need food and water-" A noise cut Niall off and both boys jerked around the direction they'd come from."What was that?"

Harry felt himself shaking. "Niall, what do we do?" he whispered.

"Uh, I don't know." Niall glanced at Harry and knew his friend couldn't handle much more running. Neither could he, really. They were both drained physically and mentally, and he had a feeling the twins had finally caught up to them.

Moving to stand in front of Harry, Niall held his hand out. "Give me your jacket."

Harry gave him a puzzled look but took off the jacket and handed it over. The brown fake fur was soft against his hand, but Niall ignored it. "Good, now run," he said, pointing the direction they'd been heading. "Find a clearing and stay put."

"What about a cave? Would they attack me in a cave?"

"I don't know. Maybe, maybe not? I don't know much, Harry. Just run and trust me."

Harry stood and grabbed his shoulder. "Promise me you'll be okay. Promise, Niall, or I'm not going anywhere." His eyes didn't waver from Niall's.

Niall felt his friend was staring into his soul, but brushed it off. "Promise. Now get going, or we'll both be dead before either of us can say oops."