seven; think

Greenwich Village, New York
October 14, 1929

––

"baby, i need to
let down my guard,
and give you my scars.
open up my heart."

––

Maya looked at her best friend, bewildered.

"Riles, you've known them a day!"

Maya released the brunette. Both Riley and Maya met in the middle of the room, staring each other down.

"Maya, but I feel like I can trust them! Zay told us his story!"

"And that was his decision! No offense to him, but you felt death too! Remember?!"

Riley pursed her lips, slightly glaring at Maya. She clenched her fists at her side.

"Don't remind me," Riley growled.

"I don't think you should tell them just yet. Maybe when you know them a little better."

"But the longer I keep it from them, the worse it gets! What about Knickerbocker? How The Blonde Beauty came to be? Josh?! Are you ever going to tell them, Maya?! Are you ever going to tell Lucas about them?! About Josh?!"

"There is nothing between me and Lucas!" Maya's voice shook. Riley knew she had struck a nerve.

"Ring Power," Riley said, thrusting her hand forward, showing Maya her friendship ring Riley gave her when she turned fourteen.

Reluctantly, Maya put her hand out too. Riley watched her best friend purse her pink lips into a fine line of worry, one Riley knew very well.

"Ring Power."

"One day, we have to tell them."

"One day we will. But not today."

"Not today."

Riley took a deep breath, thinking over her decision. She would tell them about her past, leaving out anything that would link to Maya's. Riley knew Maya was extra sensitive when it came to the topic of Knickerbocker. And she understood. Knickerbocker put them both through hell and back.

"Riles, I'm gonna go down to Topanga's."

Riley's head snapped up in Maya's direction.

"What?! Why?"

"Riles," Maya said, putting her arms around Riley,"they need to know you're back."

"But then they'll want to see me."

"If you aren't ready, they'll understand."

"But, all they know about is the baby."

"I know. That's all they need to know for now. When the time comes, we'll tell them everything, but, now, we don't have to."

Riley bit her bottom lip, debating whether or not she should go.

"I'll go," Riley decided, straightening under Maya's arms,"but if they push, I'm leaving then and there."

Maya smiled, and Riley could see it genuinely reach her blue orbs. Riley wished she was as happy. Or happy at all about this. If she felt anything at all, she was anxious. She could feel the anxiety settle in her stomach. Riley didn't want to do this. She didn't want to face her parents. It was bad enough facing Josh. She wasn't sure she'd be able to do it when she would look into her parents sad eyes. She was a disappointment to them. They said it themselves. Riley had always blamed them for the next few years of her life after arriving in Hollywood.

She blamed them for Knickerbocker. She blamed them for everything that happened there. If they had never said what they had, Riley's life could've been so much better. She would never of had to face him, and see the pitying look the stranger gave her when she gave up her daughter. Her beautiful Topanga Penelope.

But giving up her daughter was Riley's choice. She knew that place was no place to raise a child. There was too much to be traumatized by. Riley knew that first hand.

But if Riley hadn't of been so stupid as to get herself pregnant at eighteen.. She and Maya never would of had to suffer as much as they did.

"Riley," Maya said, breaking Riley out of her thought,"c'mon. We're going."

"Oh okay."
***
As the late autumn wind blew against Riley's skin, a sense of deja vu took her over. Riley walked close to Maya, expecting ghosts from her past to jump out. The girls linked arms. Riley shut her eyes, letting Maya guide her.

"You had a life in front of you, Riley!"

Riley's eyes opened as she felt Maya stop. From behind the sign in the window of Topanga's, Riley saw Lucas. He was sitting across from a brunette. Riley watched him give her a tight smile as Maya tensed. She looked at her best friend. Maya's blue eyes were beginning to water.

"Peaches, we can leave," Riley whispered.

Maya shook her head,"No. C'mon. Ranger Rick won't ruin this for me. Or you. We both need to see our parents."

Riley nodded,"Okay."

Stiffly, Riley opened the door and walked into a familiar atmosphere. Behind the counter stood a woman whose blonde hair was taken the place of by a shinny sliver.

"Hi, Mom," Maya said from behind Riley, making the woman look up.

Immediately, Katy smiled. She rushed over, enveloping both girls in a hug.

"Babygirl! Riley!" Katy exclaimed, happy tears making their way down her face as she kissed both girls on their temples.

Katy stepped back, looking at both girls.

"You're both so beautiful," Katy mused, her hands brushing away her own tears.

A diamond on her hand caught Riley's eyes.

"Wait, Katy, when did you get married?" Riley asked, furrowing her brows.

Katy twisted the ring on her finger as she stared down at it.

"A few years ago. Shawn had finally proposed."

Riley smiled,"So you're Katy Hunter now?"

Katy nodded. Riley wrapped her in a hug,"Welcome to the family, Aunt Katy."

She heard Katy chuckle. Even if Shawn and Katy weren't blood related, they were like family. Shawn was like Riley's own father, Cory's, brother. They were family, and now Katy was apart of it, or officially now. She and Maya were basically family years prior to this.

"Wait, Maya," Riley stopped and looked at Maya,"why aren't you congratulating her?"

"Because, Riles, I already knew. We had kept in contact over the years. We both agreed not to tell anyone."

"Oh," was all Riley could manage."Why?"

"I didn't think you'd want your parents knowing where you were, so I had her not to tell Cory and Topanga."

"Oh. Okay. Are my parents here, Katy?"

"Yeah, they are. I'll get them."

Riley smiled at her.

"Thanks."
***
author's note: so riley has a daughter aye??? who's the daddy??