One

"When the dark winds blow

When dark things prey

When the shadows walk

When all things Fey

Become the night

And forget the day

I'll come for you

And take you away."

"You said it wrong!" the girl said.

"What do you mean? I said it right!"

"No, you didn't. You said it all wrong! It's not 'fey', it's 'lay'!"

"What?" The boy pushed his sister, causing her to fall against the cabinet she'd only a second before been leaning against.

"What was that for?" she cried.

"'When all things Fey'? What's 'fey'?? There's no such thing!" Adam, the boy, shouted. His sister, Sarah, tried to pull herself up, attempting to do so without touching any of the dusty, web covered furniture scattered about the attic. She'd almost managed to stand when he pushed her again.

"Ow! Adam! What was that for?"

"Because you're a numpty. You've spoiled it now. Everyone knows you can only do spells once or they don't work."

"Who says so? There's no rules for spells, that's ridiculous!"

"Of course there are. Everyone knows that."

Sarah stuck her tongue out. "You're making that up."

"Am not," insisted her brother. "And don't put that tongue back in your mouth. It's dirty!"

Sarah giggled and Adam couldn't help but smile.

"Come on," he said, putting the old book back in the drawer they'd removed it from. "Let's go play hide and seek in the woods."

"You know I don't like it in there. Mum said I don't have to go in and you're not allowed to make me."

"Hey, that's fine," said Adam, smiling. He brushed the dust off his jeans and slapped his hands together to shake them clean. "I'm not making you do anything you don't want to. I wouldn't do that. You're the eldest so you're the boss. That's what mum says. I'm going to go, though. If you want to stay up here with the spiders and rats, be my guest."

Sarah looked around, biting her bottom lip. She knew there were no rats, their dad had made sure when they'd moved in three weeks previously. Spiders were another matter, though. Webs seemed to cling to everything, intent on trapping the siblings and holding them tight for the spiders to come and feast upon their paralysed bodies...

She shook her head.

"No, it's fine. If you really can't play without me, I suppose I'll come. Wouldn't want you to get scared."

Adam smiled. He knew his sister well and the hint of spiders or anything larger would be too much for her. She said she wasn't scared of them - they just made her uncomfortable - but she'd still scream if one touched her or if she walked through a cobweb. If the latter happened, Sarah would suddenly become like the puppet of a madman, arms flailing wildly as she tried to brush away the webs and any attached creepy crawlies.

"Thanks sis," he said. "I knew you'd keep me safe."

"Always," she said.

"Come on then, freak."

Adam scrambled to the opening in the floor and clambered down the ladder onto the upper landing of their home. He held it as his sister climbed down after him.

"I suppose Tom will have to come with us?" Sarah asked, the hope that the answer would be "no" apparent in her voice.

"Sorry, sis. You know he'll moan and mum will insist."

"Yeah," sighed Sarah. "Never mind. He can be 'It'"

"Suits me."