Chapter 4 Lovers

Weeks passed, and as Stephanie was quite gifted with sewing skills, she had in a short time three of the acquired dresses altered to fit her. She shortened the hem to just below her knees and also altered several dresses to fit Melody. The crew had returned from their latest week end leave and the ships routine became the order of the day. The shortened dress caused somewhat of a scandal as they made their way along the waterway. People pointed, some gawking others not sure how to respond. Working a boat was simply easier in the shortened dress and it kept dry. Joshua simply enjoyed seeing Stephanie's legs. Stephanie's auburn red hair needed to remain hidden as it identified her as Roamy, so she wore a knit cap, a red watch cap and kept it hidden. The two of them held hands frequently as they stood together at the ships wheel, or as they walked the sands at low tide. Simple tasks took on knew meanings and delights like sharing meals and tucking Mel in at night. Joshua ached to touch her, just the simple act of holding hands excited him. Stephanie too enjoyed holding hands. Albert never held her hand. Such a simple act, holding hands, yet it reminded her of something she yearned for deep in her soul. A simple touch said so much, she wanted more, but she already had a husband. She realized she loved Joshua, she had loved him the instant he had spoken to her when he rescued her. Her mind told her this would never do, this love she was beginning to feel was forbidden. She was not free, and would never be free to love again. Sleep came each night with greater and greater difficulty.

Rhonda had heard of Stephanie's singing skills and gave her a battered old guitar that had been her son's. Stephanie was very grateful for the gift and soon she and Melody sang together after the evening meals. Joshua loved it when she and Melody sang together. The harmony in their voices and the way they looked at each other when they sang or even spoke.

Stephanie was at the wheel with Joshua standing behind her. Joshua working with Stephanie in handling the craft. The wind was over stern on the starboard quarter and blowing at fifteen knots.

"The ship feels so heavy when I steer it!" Stephanie said.

"It is fully laden, it responds very slowly to the helm, can you feel it?"

"Yes, I'm having trouble it's trying to throw me." Joshua moved closer standing behind her just on her right wrapping his arm around her.

"I'll anchor you here, Steph."

"Such a handsome anchor!" Stephanie laughed looking back at him and delivering a quick kiss to his cheek. Joshua was caught off guard. He had been calculating measures he could take to kiss Stephanie, to be more precise he had been dreaming of an excuse to kiss her. Then out of nowhere she simply delivered a kiss.

"I really liked that Steph."

"Steering the boat?"

"No, the kiss!"

Stephanie laughed and quickly delivered a second. "So you like kissing?"

"Kissing you, yes, very much." Joshua turned her slowly to face him and very slowly and deliberately kissed her lips. Stephanie returned the kiss letting go of the wheel. The ships course slowly changing and the sails pounding loudly as they responded to the shifting of ship and wind direction. "We almost jibed her that would have been bad."

"Ok, no more kisses for you Josh. I got to steer," Stephanie teased.

"But I can still kiss you my little helmsmen." Joshua stood behind her holding her tight and kissing her neck working his way to her ear as Stephanie held tight to the wheel shivering in response to the kisses.

"Josh."

"Yes Steph."

"I will require a lot more steering practice, you know, to increase my skill and proficiency."