Chapter 4

Lucas looked down at me and a tight smile pulled at his mouth, a smile that lacked emotion, when he saw that I had realized whom the Admiral was. "Father, this is Royse, the new missionary." Lucas said, his voice tight as he moved so that he was standing beside me instead of behind me.

As soon as Lucas introduced me the smile dropped from the Admiral's face, the kindness leaching out of his familiar blue eyes as they started to assess every inch of my body. "Really?" He questioned, a hint of disbelief in his voice.

Lucas tensed beside me and I quickly grabbed his arm, squeezing in an attempt to keep him from lashing out. Lucas had not been one for quick words, but I had spent enough time with his brother to realize the signs of anger getting the best of them. Speaking up before Lucas could say something that he would regret I attempted to keep my voice from wobbling in uncertainty. "Yes, really. My dragon and I were both subjected to the Tsoro's poison, the Headmaster of the school is the one who asked me to take on the job as missionary." I told the Admiral, waiting in silence as a look of thought creased his features at the conclusion of my words.

"The Headmaster? I'm guessing that old pompous fool Eller is still in charge." The Admiral said, his words scornful as he looked over my body one last time before turning his back and striding to the desk that sat in the middle of the tent. "Well, you're awfully small, so we'll obviously have to work on that, and you look soft, that will never do. If you were a simple solider I would let it slide, however since you are going to be going into the belly of the beast so to speak, you will need to look the part. Lucas take her to the armory and have Helga look her over, she'll know what to do." He said as he took a seat.

Lucas straightened and I dropped my hand. "Yes, sir. Anything else sir?" He questioned the words sounding forced.

The Admiral looked me over one last time before he shook his head. "No that is all. Royse, was it? You will report to Lucas daily for your training. You will not be sent into the enemies' camp until I have deemed you fit. Dismissed." With that the Admiral turned his attention from Lucas and I, and down to something that was on his desk.

Turning, Lucas and I exited the tent, both of us waiting until we were out of hearing distance of the guards before we spoke. "No offence, but your dad is an asshole." I told him when the silence became too much for me to bear.

Lucas had always been quite, but that quite was filled with personality, a silent sense of strength. What I was getting from him now was as frigid as the air around us.

At my words, a rough bark of laughter left Lucas's throat, a laugh that was more bitter than humorous. "Yeah, I guess that's one word for it." He said before he looked at me through the corner of his eye. "Sorry about that by the way, sometimes he can be okay, but most of the time not."

I shrugged, my eyes switching to the ground to avoid tripping on anything. "I've handled worse. Why do I have to go the armory? I brought armor with me from the school." I said as we shimmied past a half-asleep set of watchmen.

"Who knows, my father works in mysterious ways, I can assure you that somehow, by the time we reach her, Helga will know exactly what he wants." He told me before the two of us were forced to be silent by the perilous task that was going down the stairs.

Nearly sliding over the side and to my death more than once I was more than grateful to reach the safety of the ground. After being lock legged for so long as I picked my way down the stairs the solid ground was a welcomed relief.