Ch 1

His father kept the engine running while Cam said his good-byes. "A lot of people are going to be heading in for their flights soon," his father had said. "We don't want to back up traffic."

It was five in the morning, and the airport drop-off was deserted.

The air was cool, a relief after the past couple days, but the humidity made it thick and heavy. It clung to Cam's skin and pressed against his chest, making him work for every breath.

His mother shook his hand and hoped he would have a nice flight. His father nodded and said nothing. His father had very little to say to him lately. Words churned in Cam's stomach, threatening to choke him. He kept them down. They wouldn't do any good.

He wished they hadn't done this. Wished they'd let their driver take him, or let Cam call a car. Grab the bus. Walk. But his parents insisted. It was their duty. He shouldn't have let them. He should've snuck out, before anyone else was awake, and saved them all the trouble. But if he did that...

Naomi hugged him. Or rather she stood there, twisting her hands and glancing at their parents, until he yanked her in for a hug. There was an awkward moment, but it passed, and she burrowed her head in his shoulder.

Their father cleared his throat. Naomi's fingers dug in for a second, and then she let go. Cam held on tight. "I'm not leaving you. You know that, right?" He needed her to know that. She wouldn't look at him, but he could see her eyes were swimming and he rushed on. "If you need me, if you need anything, I'm a phone call away. I'll come right back. I promise."

She nodded. Her face was a pale, porcelain portrait of their mother's. Polite. Distant. "I hope you have a nice trip. Please say hello to Aunt Meg for me," she said, and he wanted to scream at her that this wasn't a vacation. This wasn't a time to be polite. He just plain wanted to scream.

Instead he said, "I'll call you when I get there, to let you know I arrived safe."

His mother interrupted. "Thank you, but that won't be necessary."

"I'll call," Cam said, thinking, And I wasn't talking to you. "It would be polite."

His mother gave a stiff nod. Whatever else, polite always won out in the end. "Say good-bye, Naomi. We wouldn't want Camron to miss his flight."

Naomi attempted one of their parents' polished smiles. "Good-bye, Camron."

"I love you," he said. Even though guys weren't supposed to say stuff like that. Even to their sisters. Especially not in this family.

Naomi started to cry, covering her face with her hands to muffle the sound, and Cam felt the sharp edge of panic. He couldn't do this. He couldn't abandon her like this. Leave her here, alone. He could stay—through the summer, at least. And then he'd have to leave anyway, and it would be the same. She'd get swallowed up just the same, or she'd learn to fight back.

Cam waited until they turned to leave. Until his father's shoulders relaxed and they were a happy, normal family. Then he called out, "You'll want to avoid I-95, sir. Car accident. Traffic's going to back up for miles."

His father gave him a black look and slammed the car door. Cam watched them drive off, knowing his father would take 95 just to spite him. Knowing they would sit there for hours while State Troopers cleaned up a very messy accident, and they would know he was right.

He shouldn't have done that to Naomi. But it made him feel better.

In the end, it didn't take a full twenty-four hours to get across the country. It only felt like it.