Brace for impact (part 2)

One step at a time, Amy!

I followed Miyu's light but quick footsteps into the classroom. The kids were all inside, doing their usual things. A few girls were talking about make up, a few boys were making loud comments on that from a corner, and the occasional loners were staring out into the huge two meter high windows.

As soon as the bell rang everybody took their seats and waited for our be-quiet-or-face-the-consequences grimaced Miyu to salute them and start the class. She was in a fowl mood today and the tension that settled neatly within the twenty square meter room could crack nuts if needed.

'Good morning, students,' she started as soon as she got the few books she needed out onto the desk.

'Good morning, Miyu sensei,' they answered lazily.

'Hello everyone,' I greeted the unenthusiastically watching me students while breaking out one of my best smiles. Somebody had to relieve this tension and unfortunately I was the only one who was allowed to speak without permission. Or so I thought before Miyu stared me down into submission.

I quickly erased the stupid grin and took my place behind the desk, next to the whiteboard.

The lesson started with the usual basic questions -- name, live, school — a boring routine that managed to put even me to sleep, nonetheless the students. Some managed to sneak a yawn while Miyu fiddled with some papers.

I feel you little ones, I thought, my face betraying a look of compassion towards those who had to suffer through these boring lessons. But I had a surprise coming, one that I didn't have time to discuss with Miyu because she blocked me like an iceberg in the Atlantic during our brief encounter in the meeting room.

I had a plan, one that had to get Miyu to speak to me, whether she wanted it or not. My five minutes of fame during class time were about to begin and I was ready for it. I looked at Miyu, searching for any signs that could have spared her the fate of being power played into talking to me but was met by the same iceberg that crushed the Titanic a hundred years ago.

My way it is then, I smirked and reached out for my backpack in search of my secret weapon.

Everybody, including Miyu, was waiting in anticipation for me to take out the object that was fighting me inside the backpack.

'Ta-dah!' I beamed at the kids, not forgetting about Miyu either. She was standing puzzled, obviously conflicted by my choice of props for today.

'Okay everyone, does anybody know what this is?' I asked the giggling class.

'Toire paper,' some of the boys rushed to answer.

'Toire?' I furrowed my brows, 'what is that?' I completed my little act with a shoulder shrug and a questioning wave of hands.

'Toilet paper,' Miyu corrected everyone.

'Exactly! Thank you Miyu sensei!' I turned to her and clapped my hands.

The students followed my act and clapped in unison.

'Standing ovation to our wonderful Miyu sensei!' I continued my little speech while catching glimpses of her obvious embarrassment as the pink has started to crawl onto her neck towards the tips of her ears. She managed to skilfully hide it from the students but there was no hiding from me.

A-haaa! Gotcha!

Ignorance is a bliss and my God was I brilliant in my act. I kept the star-struck Miyu in the corner of my eye as I went on with the lesson.

'Now everyone - Let's play a game!'

I had their attention and that was gratifying enough, for usually I would just get the characteristic bored yawns.