Colleagues without Cubicles

Colleagues, on average, spend at least 35 hours with one another each week. Numbers aside, that is a lot of freakin’ time spent together. Especially when you’re stuck in a cluster.

What is a cluster, you ask? It’s a grouping of four tables, with no barriers. None of that cubicle business here. This setting allows for an open environment (sometimes too open), with plenty of room for secrets, pranks, and endless conversations. 

Today marks the potential end of our awesome foursome. We’ve been told that a new guy  will be joining us as our fifth team member. Clusters are only made for four, so we’ve got a big issue with this.

Koko comes to us with breaking news: “Guys, guys, guess what? I know who he is!” 

Divo chimes in, “Who is it? When is he coming? Tell us!”

Yolondo, always the calm one, asks us to chill. “If we all stop freaking out, we can learn more about this dude.”

“Sooo. His name is Brody Jenkins,” Koko starts, with a twinkle in his eye. He loves being in the center of everything. “He’s apparently from the army. Do you think he quit? Or got discharged?”

“Army, eh?” Divo ponders, as he rubs his chin with his fingers. “Well, push-ups won’t solve these gazillion zOS tickets we’ve been getting lately.”

“Don’t be such a pooper,” I chuckle, “getting some eye candy around here won’t hurt anyone.”

“Of course, Hayley” Koko scoffs, “isn’t that your end goal for everything.”

 “Don’t be jelly of the big guns, Koko,” I start, “this guy could very well be a great addition to our team.”

We’re briefly interrupted by our HR specialist, Damien. “Brody’s here. I’m going to give him the generic interview, and then let him meet the team afterwards. That cool with you guys?”

“Cool!” we reply in unison, like a gaggle of giggly girl scouts about to sell a thousand peppermint patties. We spend the rest of the next hour going about our daily duties: Divo and Yolondo continuing their epic ping pong rivalry, Koko procuring more Mrs. Plains cookies, and me taking note of what everyone in the office is wearing today.

Damien comes back with Brody. Standing at about five foot ten, his disheveled hair framed hazel eyes. Jacked shoulders and toned arms definitely screamed army. He extends an arm for a handshake, “I’m Brody, nice to finally meet the team!”

Handshakes and pleasantries are exchanged, and I notice Koko, Yolondo and Divo all staring at the “Airborne” tattoo marking Brody’s right forearm. We all exchange knowing glances and smile slyly. Tuesday afternoon just got interesting.